What's new
What's new

Montgomery Ward Lathe 04TLC-700

JSites

Plastic
I'm new to the Practical Machinist- I look forward to interaction. I inherited a Montgomery Ward lathe, estimated to be from about 1945- in fact may have been a Navy shop lathe from Hawaii, -- it was painted battleship grey over black from the looks of it.but I have no proof or evidence. The unit includes the belt drive motor, bed, stand, and some misc. tooling.

I'm attempting to identify it's value as I learn more about it- I found this PM's website doing a model number search.... and hope to see if there is a forum for this great tool.

Thanks in advance.
JS

Montgomery Wards lathes were made by Logan. If you look up the Logan Actuator website they have information on Montgomery Wards lathes.

The Grey should be the original color, it's not Navy grey it's Machinery grey.

It would have to be a very good day, in a "machinery desert" like Alaska, for it to go to $2500, IMO.

Much more likely to be from $600 to $1000 depending on condition. Maybe less, since these days there are many import machines available new that have some form of a QCGB for threading and feeds, and that one does not.

It would have to be a very good day, in a "machinery desert" like Alaska, for it to go to $2500, IMO.

Much more likely to be from $600 to $1000 depending on condition. Maybe less, since these days there are many import machines available new that have some form of a QCGB for threading and feeds, and that one does not.

For example a Logan with QC for $850.. but it may be good or wore out?????
Logan lathe model 82 - tools - by owner - sale

Logan Actuator is a very good place to start. There are also several websites with sales literature from the period. A good write up as already mentioned can be found in the machine tool archives, just google Tony at Lathes and look at the Logan page.

Logan lathe value is dependent on model, condition, included accessories, location etc. Any of the previous posters could be right about the value. Start by posting a few photos, then give us the model and serial number.

The Wards lathe could be had in almost any of the Logan configurations. However they are most commonly 10" and configured like the Logan 200 series. Features like quick change gear boxes and taper attachments were sold seperatly to be installed by the buyer. The Logan 200 series was the least expensive and basic machine. Wards/Logan also had a 9" lathe. In 1945 the color would have been a very dark grey, almost black. For reference SEM makes a paint color "Graphite", nearly an exact match. Late Logan's were a lighter grey.

I sold a Wards 10" (equivalent to the Logan 200) with QC gearbox, legs and chip pan, tool post and no chuck; in nearly new condition for $1,000 here in Indiana.

Back