What's new
What's new

Craig's list ads that linger, no interest in machines?

JST

Diamond
I bought that Rivett 608 quite a while ago now..... and the guy who posted it on CL still has not removed the advert.

110V Lathe 9" swing - 30" bed

You'd think that a 608, even a dirty one (and it was obviously filthy in the pictures) would get enough interest that he'd be bothered answering calls, and would take it down in self-defense. Apparently not.

then also, I have seen Logan lathes, South bend, leBlond, and others linger on and get reposted... obviously they were NOT bought off the first ad if a second was needed.

Is nobody interested in older machines anymore? I figured that some HSM would nab some of these, if nobody else, but it hasn't always happened.

When you call these guys that have already sold their item you get He He He, I all ready sold that! The ad still stays in. I think it makes them feel superior. Jerks!

I got my rub in once though. A Boice Crane 12" bandsaw which was advertised at $150. It had been there a month and I called the man and offered him $100 for the saw.

"Gee, I just sold that yesterday for $75."

The regret was genuine. I could "feel" it over the phone.

Maybe it's a sado-masachism thing in this case?

Joe

Many times, I've called, and heard something to the effect of "my buddy placed that ad for me, I don't have a computer, I been meanin' to ask him to fix that."

If you were truly evil, you could:

Do a very good, very quick job of cleaning up the machine.

Take excellent photos.

Repost the ad, using the original seller's contact information.

Lower the price.

That should teach 'em.

The ads go for 45 days if not pulled by the poster.

Just seemed that some of the machines that were NOT sold, SHOULD have sold..... I sorta know the answer about not bothering to pull the ad if it isn't getting much volume....

I just marked it as spam, since he does not have the item any more. I suspect if the rest of the people here clicked on the link and hit the spam button it will be pulled by the morning. Not to be a jerk but having a bogus ad may hurt someone who is still trying to decide on a machine.

I don't care if he lists it till doomsday...... the odd thing I see is that he must not be getting calls.

And some other folks must not be getting calls, their stuff gets RE-listed. Of course it could be much worse in person, but a lot of it is reasonable price, good basic machine, you'd think it would move.

Must be no shops are buying machines, and especially not manual.

Could it be that the sellers are not telling Craigslist they are sold and avoiding a fee? And they are re-listed automatically? I have no experience with Craigslist, but I've noticed some sellers on a local trading post magazine do that.

Irby

A very large number of Craigslist sellers aren't good enough with computers to know how to delete their ads, or aren't aware that they can be deleted.
Irby, Craigslist is free.

Andy

not only are not good with computers, but they dont know how to make phone calls when they are not showing up, nor how to follow simple directions, nor how to make calls. Got to wonder how some of these people find their way out of bed in the morning. I have gotten calls where someone simple says "SAW!", like I am a voice operated vending machine, this has happened several times.

Back