What's new
What's new

More Trashed Government tools

Not sure how it would get that rusty...You'd think that the "expanded metal tarp" laying on the ways would have kept the rain off!!

Andrew

Looks like this one was rolled down a concrete ramp. Even the tailstock ram clamp handle is broken off. I want to know who the moron is that has $150 on this machine, lol.

It might be worth something as a parts machine if you had another Monarch of the same model.

It might even turn again if someone was REALLY determined to make it so, however they'd probably be better off putting their money and time into a different machine. You'd almost have to be some kind of masochist to take this on.

Peering at the shadowy debris in the bent chip pan, I do not see the compound slide.

What's it worth as scrap?

Then again, wiser heads than me have pointed out that sometime ugly rust will just "push off" with oil and a scraper. (IIRC, John Oder has a technique for doing this that has served him well.)

You guys are confused, that's not rust, that's a protective chemical coating that they have applied,

it's called Iron Oxide.

PJ Ritz

This is a how to for the government fools that want to destroy a good machine.

its a 50 year old bone yard machine
no need to hate your goverment or there fools for the ravages of time

We got one about like that, or should I say about like that one once was. There's so much missing or broke that it's basically worth every pound it weighs.

There's some interesting information, possibly erroneous, if you poke around the links on the government liquidation webpage for that lathe.

First off, it says "CARO INC DBA SOUTH BEND LATHE"
Huh? DBA means "Doing Business As" - who is CARO INC?

Second, clicking on the NSN (? National Stock Number ?) shows the spec is for a "toolroom" lathe. If this is true, it makes the abuse of this machine doubly tragic.

A lathe like this could last a lot longer than 50 years if properly lubricated and sheltered.

I know it going to the melter, just another couple of oins out of the thousands of tons that get melted every day. But, somehow, it bugs me.

JRR

LOL!!! That looks like the one that was being craned over to the USS Puget Sound when all hell broke loose and the "then new" Monarch broke loose and fell into the drink! It bounced off the pier then bounced off the ship before sinking pier side!:D

Only worth scrap price, less rigging and hauling to the scrap yard. That is why they need more tax dollars, because they have wasted the ones we already gave them.

Gary P. Hansen

The idiots will put the $$ items out to rust, but computer items worth $11.95 will be shrink wrapped and store in a nice building.

The latest Smithsonian magazine had an article about a 7 ft high statue of a goddess, presumed to be Aphrodite, that thieves broke up into pieces to smuggle it out of Sicily. It found it's way to the Getty Museum and is now being returned after a lot of hassle. The same kind of mentality blew up the Parthenon and put a crowbar through a window on my Cessna 195, then pryed it out against the fuselage, leaving a crease in the aluminum, just to steal a couple of low value cockpit lights. Some of these jerks don't deserve to take up living space on the planet.

Bill

To keep our tax dollars at work, the idiots could also send it to Alaska, it would make the perfect end of the road roadblock.

"Alaska. The Gravina Island Bridge, commonly referred to as the "Bridge to Nowhere". After canceling the bridge, Palin's administration spent more than $25 million to build the Gravina Island Highway, which would have connected with the proposed bridge. According to Alaskan state officials, the road project went ahead because the money came from the federal government, and would otherwise have had to be returned. Because "no one seems to use" this road, it has been called the "road to nowhere"

I find it interesting that we are quick to condemn the gummint for breaking or mistreating machines, but one of us drops one off a trailer, fork lift, etc. much sympathy is given.

Why are we not beating up on Marcibb over her dropped surface grinder?

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...tory/sad-sad-end-nice-surface-grinder-236761/

Some time ago there were photographs of an abandoned machine shop in Louisiana full of rusty machinery.

There was a lot of sympathy given and speculation for the circumstances, but no one condemned the owner.

I do not condone gummint waste, but we don't know all the circumstances. That lathe may have indeed been dropped off a crane, hit the pier, then the ship, and into salt water. I doubt it would have lost much value sitting in a yard for a few years accumulating "surface rust".

If you want to wring your hands over waste look here:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=pjnmToPuA4Tv0gGT9p2JBg

Paul

Thats weapons and planes.
Even if you could demilitarize them no one could and should be able to afford joyriding one......

But tools....as long as one single guy has to buy some horrible freight or whatever crap, its a crime to destroy a tool....

( Anecdote : Harbor Freight -- Horrible Freight
We have same style insults too. Here in Germany the equivalent is called Rotwerk / Red Works , that translates to either Rot-zwerg / Red dwarf

or Rotz-werk , that would be "Snot Works"
)

Alas to the difference here : Well, if the damage is a known case of the shipping company failing at life, who am I to condemn the owner.

But anonymus items get me suspicious.

Today...i saw a HUGE bronze name plate from a machine, over 1'x1' , from 1894, at the scrappers.......
Id love to get my hand on the SOB that destroyed the machine that it came from and kill him by starvation......

The former dean of a major college died unexpectedly, not unforseen but not expected right then. He had two PHDs and was mainly oriented toward electronics. His wife just had a dumpster delivered and was going to dump all his equipment collected over a lifetime. People tried to explain that it worth a considerable amount of money and there were those who really needed many of the items. Her answer was "I don't care. I want that junk out of my basement." Several of us carried away carloads of it, literally having to walk around the dumpster, just to save it.

Re the boneyard, can't I just have the MIG 21? I won't ever ask for anything else ever again, I promise.

Bill

Back