What's new
What's new

My Delta Homecraft Drill Press is a monster. Any alternatives?

sign216

Plastic
Just bought a vintage 11" Homecraft drill press for home use, but it weighs over 100 lbs?! I wanted a benchtop press that I can move off/on the bench when I needed it. This is so heavy it'll require dedicated bench space.

Are there any vintage USA made drill presses that are lighter?

Drill Press.jpgDrill Press2.jpg

Attachments

• McGraw Edison.jpg
    McGraw Edison.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 2,103
Last edited:
It is against the site rules to discuss low quality home shop machines, so I will point you to two USA made high quality professional machines that fit your desired weight constraint. You can find used ones on eBay.

The Cameron Model 164 drill press can be lifted with one finger because it is mostly aluminum.

The Servo Standard drill press is about the same size, and weighs 21 pounds.

Larry

It is against the site rules to discuss low quality home shop machines, so I will point you to two USA made high quality professional machines that fit your desired weight constraint. You can find used ones on eBay.

The Cameron Model 164 drill press can be lifted with one finger because it is mostly aluminum.

The Servo Standard drill press is about the same size, and weighs 21 pounds.

Larry

Larry,

That's just the info I was looking for. Thank you.

I didn't mean to violate the forum rules, it's just that the Delta Homecraft was really designed for a different era. A 120 lbs press, for casual home use? Not sure about that.

It's a great piece of iron, just a different outlook.

Joe

Perhaps the OP is confusing wood with metal working machines? In my experience, 'bench top' means it doesn't come with a stand/legs and is not really about portability.

Stretch, in essence I'm looking for a drill press that I can move around so it doesn't "own" real estate in my shop. Something I can put away when not in use.

The Cameron and Servo presses mentioned earlier aren't really right, as 1/10 or 1/5 hp motors are more for model railroad or watch repair.

Stretch, in essence I'm looking for a drill press that I can move around so it doesn't "own" real estate in my shop. Something I can put away when not in use.

The Cameron and Servo presses mentioned earlier aren't really right, as 1/10 or 1/5 hp motors are more for model railroad or watch repair.

You only said you want a light weight and USA-made bench drill press in your first post, and that is what I led you to. Now you seem to want something bigger than those two excellent USA-made sensitive drill presses. If you expect helpful answers, you need to provide better information, at least a chuck capacity.

But, if you want a 1/2" chuck and USA-made, it will be old and heavy, very much like what you have. There are lots of China/Taiwan junk quality machines that may be just right for you, but will not be right for this website.

Larry

A Delta Homecraft bench drill is hardly a "monster" unless you are looking at it from the perspective of a watchmaker. There is an old story about two young fellows who were serving apprenticeships- one as a machinist apprentice, one as a watchmaker apprentice. The machinist apprentice was showing the watchmaker apprentice around the machine shop. The watchmaker apprentice suddenly gave out with an exclamation, something to the effect of "Holy cow ! I didn't know there were taps THAT big !" As the story goes, the watchmaker apprentice was looking at a 1/4-20 tap laying on a workbench. To most of us, even those of us who do work on fine mechanisms and small precision work, a 1/4-20 tap is hardly a "big tap", nor is a Delta Homecraft drill any kind of heavyweight or monster. To many of us, a Bridgeport Milling Machine is considered as a lightweight or light duty mill. I own a Bridgeport in my home shop and can attest to it being a lighter duty mill and know its limitations. My light drill press is a Powermatic drill press, floor model, with 1/2" chuck. I took it apart myself when I bought it used and brought it home 35 years ago in a Ford Bronco. I carried the pieces into my basement and reassembled that drill by myself as well. I am guessing that the Powermatic drill is maybe 300 lbs at most, and that is on the heavier end for this type/class of drill press when compared with a Delta.

If I want to drill larger holes or have heavier work such as structural steel, blacksmithing projects, or similar, I use my Cincinnati Bickford "camelback" drill. This is a 1917 machine with the original 3 HP motor on it, number 3 Morse Taper socket in the spindle, having back gearing and flat leather belts. As camelback drills go, my Cincinnati Bickford is on the lighter end. It weighs somewhere around 1500 lbs. Good iron, and it does the jobs for me.

A good little US Made bench drill such as was made by Delta, Southbend, Buffalo Forge and a few other firms would weigh a good deal more than 100 lbs. "Traditional" US made machine tools always had good castings with plenty of iron and steel in them. This insured rigidity as well as some dampening of vibration and also insured accuracy. Take away that iron and the machine becomes light and springy.

I've been on a job where a crew took a Buffalo Forge bench drill to the work and clamped it in place to drill and ream some holes. It weighed LESS than a Milwaukee magnetic base portable drill which could handle a number 3 Morse Taper shank. They bolted that Buffalo Forge bench drill press's base to the work (a large gearcase on a hoist), turned the head of the drill so it was opposite the table and slid the head along the column to suit the work. THAT was a portable drill press in my book.

If you want a "portable drill" by definition, look at the magnetic based drills. These are meant to be carried to the work and use an electromagnet to hold the drill solidly on the work (like structural steel, boiler and tank work, shipbuilding, powerplant or railroad equipment, truck frames, heavy equipment work, etc). In the field, we often took the magnetic based drills and set them on a piece of steel plate or heavy steel channel and turned on the magnetic base. This gave us a drill press to drill non-ferrous or small work.

Possibly the lightest and simplest portable drill press of all is down in my shop. Some call it an "old man". It is a "Keystone" boiler ratchet with number 3 Morse Taper shank, and a "drilling post" to clamp to the work. No electricity needed. A good head to figure how best to set things up, then a little muscle and patience and you drill and ream holes, some as big as 1 1/2" through some heavy steel using only your muscles. You can carry a boiler ratchet and drilling post with one hand, and they are US made. Entirely portable, and you can stow them under a workbench, in a broom closet or under your bed.

100 lbs is, to me at least, hardly a weight to consider as being "monsterous". I was given a Chinese made Craftsman bench drill press (which I passed along to another friend). It was a poor copy of a traditional bench drill press, and I could pick it up with one hand. The castings were lightweight and rough looking, and the overall fit and finish of the parts was piss poor. As the man says: "You gets what you pay for".

I look at machinist bench vises (hardly worthy of the name) offered for sale these days. I look at the weights, and am always amazed at how little they weigh. A good traditional 4 1/2" or 5" machinist bench vise by a maker like Athol, Columbian, Reed, Prentice, Parker, Morgan, or similar would weigh somewhere around 100 lbs. Get a vise that looks vaguely similar, made in China, and the weight is barely 1/3 of that.
Try using those Chinese vises like you'd use a REAL machinist vise- cold bending steel flat bar using a 3 lb hammer, or driving out a stubborn pin or using a hammer and cape chisel to chip a groove or chip a piece of stock to rough it down to size.... and you had better be wearing steel cap shoes as it is likely the moveable jaw of that vise will land on your foot.

If you want a small drill, Larry Vanice has given you a couple of manufacturers. These are typically high speed sensitive drills. These typically are used for very small diameter drills. If you want a drill press to run bits up to 1/2" including drilling of steel, then your Delta Homecraft drill is kind of the low end of the spectrum. If you want portability, in bygone days, the power tool manufacturers used to sell "drill press stands" in which a hand-held electric drill could be mounted. Some of these stands would handle a 1/2" or even a 3/4" capacity drill motor. Even those stands were well made, using a piece of heavy-wall round steel tube that was often finish ground for the column, and iron castings for the base and for the holding fixture to mount the electric drill. If you hoped to push a drill of any size through steel, you needed mechanical advantage, and that required a rigid structure to prevent springing. Even those stands for portable hand held drills were made with that degree of rigidity and mechanical advantage.

Over time, we learn there are certain immutable and possibly unwritten laws that govern most of what we do or come into contact with. One of those laws is simply that if you want a machine tool to do a certain job or class or work, you have to have a good design along with the "beef" or iron. Another basic principal is "there are no bargains". IOW, if you buy some lightweight drill press from China, don't expect it to be particularly accurate, nor expect it to even have a decent chuck or properly machined and fitted parts. It will be a crude imitation of what the US made drills were. The low price may prove to be no bargain in the long run.

Careful! This one might drop out of your pocket

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/material-handling-and-rigging/dropped-radial-drill-335182/

Just bought a vintage 11" Homecraft drill press for home use, but it weighs over 100 lbs?! I wanted a benchtop press that I can move off/on the bench when I needed it. This is so heavy it'll require dedicated bench space.

My other press is a McGraw Edison, that's really for "hobby" use. But the McGraw is easy move around, so it's a dream in that regard.

View attachment 199763View attachment 199764

View attachment 199765

If you expect helpful answers, you need to provide better information, at least a chuck capacity.

Larry

Larry,

I'd like to bridge the gap between the Cameron and the Delta Homecraft.
See;

Cameron 5/32" chuck 9 lb overall
Homecraft 1/2" chuck 115 lb overall

No American presses fill that void? 1/4 to 3/8" chuck, and 40 to 70 lbs?

Joe

[h=2]"My Delta Homecraft Drill Press is a monster"[/h]
This is hilarious

I thought so too. :codger:

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

My other press is a McGraw Edison, that's really for "hobby" use. But the McGraw is easy move around, so it's a dream in that regard.

View attachment 199763View attachment 199764

View attachment 199765

No, it's not....it's a toy. And that other thing is a real POS. My 750 lb Wilton Strands is not a "monster", it's just a normal size drill press.

Larry,

I'd like to bridge the gap between the Cameron and the Delta Homecraft.
See;

Cameron 5/32" chuck 9 lb overall
Homecraft 1/2" chuck 115 lb overall

No American presses fill that void? 1/4 to 3/8" chuck, and 40 to 70 lbs?

Joe

So many people with useless opinions, and so little knowledge.

Look for one of the old unmentionable brand model 150's. Made by King Seely I'm pretty sure mine comes in under 100lbs, probably around 95.

"So many people with useless opinions and so little knowledge"... There are collectively enough experienced machinists, toolmakers, fitters, engineers and similar here to start and run damned near any machine shop on the planet and design and build damned near anything short of living flesh. Collectively, we have more years of solid experience than Methusalah, amounting to at least a few centuries if not more.

We've lived and worked with machine tools and know machine tools. Some of us have built machine tools and many more have rebuilt them. Most of us have repaired machine tools at some point or other. ALL of us have used drill presses of all shapes and sizes, from small high speed sensitive drills to large radial drills.

I'd say you are not liking the answers you are getting, but there is no denying the truth and the source of those answers. I'd consider the source of the comment about our "useless opinions and so little knowledge" and put it in a certain heap. That comment pales and fades to nothing when put up against the knowledge and experience put forth by the members of this board. I've been a machinist and mechanical engineer for well over 45 years, and I stand in awe of the people who participate in this 'board. I consider myself in the minor leagues compared to many of the people who participate here.

The comment says we have put forth a lot of useless knowledge and no answers. To put forth a comment like that, the person making that comment sees themselves as fit to pass judgement on the rest of us and evidently knows something more that we don't. I am sure with that superior knowledge, that same person can find a drill press meeting his needs, possibly made of unobtainium and he can lessen its weight by filling the paper-thin castings with the gas and hot air he seems to have plenty of.

Back