What's new
What's new

My new old Lady needs a ID

Tobi the German

Plastic
Dear Gentleman,Ladies and Chipmakers!
It sounds absurd but I need to find a ID for my recently bought old Lathe, properly she is a German product but all my investigations concerning her origin lead to no proper results till now. Someone assumed that she is a Dolze&Slotta and there are some similarities for true but no proof. As u will notice from the added pics there are some modification already made. I am planning to restore her and therefore i need basic information concerning her color(Makeup), type of spindle-oilers and etc.
If anyone has any hints, information or documentation, i would appreciate!
But enough of blahblah... here are the pics, they say more...
pl. apologize my poor english writing!
Best regards and a peaceful Christmastime to everyone from Southern Germany/Bavaria into the world!IMG_20171207_221820.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171207_221346.jpg
    IMG_20171207_221346.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 801
  • IMG_20171207_221506.jpg
    IMG_20171207_221506.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_20171207_221809.jpg
    IMG_20171207_221809.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 763
  • IMG_20171207_221629.jpg
    IMG_20171207_221629.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 651
Here is a good starting place to identify a lathe. The makers outside of England are noted, so you can just look for the German companies.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/page21.html

"Old Lady" is American slang for wife or girlfriend. The title seems to say your new wife needs an identification document, like a passport or driver license. Language is fun sometimes, but can get in the way of communication.

Larry

"Old Lady" is American slang for wife or girlfriend.

L Vanice thoughtfully posted this information. I might point out that in many sectors of society, this slang would be viewed as pejorative (that is, somewhat insulting) to the "old lady" in question. Asking someone "How's your old lady?" would be insulting (that is, it would presume too much familiarity - like using "du" with someone you just met).

Thanks to overseas!

Dear gentlemen, good Morning!
First of all, thanks to everyone for the quick response!
Thank you Larry for added "lathes.co.uk" link, indeed it`s a great and helpful site, but I already went through almost all of the manufactures listed, without great success.
Thanks and sorry for the English-lesson you gave to me, but I did it on purpose, it`s my way to raise attention in a big forum like that, some call it humor->and it seems that it worked somehow. Unfortunately it resulted in a discussion about languages.
Hi EPAIII,
there is no nameplate or logo on her obviously, either she lost it or she wants to keep her secrets to be discovered, as real (german):drool5: ladies do!
Nevertheless it`s fun chatting with you guys from overseas, but lets see if some one can discover HER !!??

This is probably wrong... But just a thought..

Those castings look pretty rough, like nobody cared what the lathe looked like..

Is it a war time lathe?? Make it functional and skip the "pretty", possibly made
by some company that was making sewing machines or pedal cars in peace time...

Just a thought.

The legs also have that hole with 2 bolt holes at an angle like it was set up for a flanged bearing. Maybe some sort of lower line shaft? Puzzles are fun on a Sunday morning. :)

Might get locked though due to title, moving it to the antique forum might be in order, more people there may have an answer there and they might be a bit more lenient on the title rule there.

JR

In the USA you could probably selll those cast iron legs to some decorator for more then the entire machine, in running condition, would sell for to someone who wants a lathe.
Bill D

WOW good thoughts!

Good evening Gents,
Again first of all I like to point out that I am very happy that this thread returned to a reasonable serious matter as it was supposed to be, thanks!
I got your points, that maybe I am in the wrong forum acc. to Bill D., but don`t let us forget that`s how technology once started. Since I work with highly sophisticated and advanced machines in my daily business (aircraft engineer) the more I appreciate the roots, without Bits and Bytes which do not appear very challenging to me. To conserve and restore this technology makes a lot fun, you would wonder how youngsters being amazed by processing a simple workpiece by that old lady.
Dear Jlrii and Bobw thanks for your thoughts! i hope soon my unknown lady will look like the Wolf Jahn Machine, I am sure she will, maybe a bit more puristic. That`s why I also share Bobw´s theory concerning a wartime lathe.... . I even thought about that her legs origin from a treadle powered machine. But let`s see, some day I`ll find out?!and I will post this Lady in her designated outfit.
So long gents, hope to receive more .....
Yours Tobi

I am a little surprised this thread has not been locked yet. The site owner locks threads with titles that are do not reflect the actual content and prevent the search function from working for others, later on. Maybe he has just not seen it yet. Here is the rule, with his clear reasoning:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...inform-what-your-topic-actually-about-307648/

The earlier digressions in this thread would not have happened if the title followed the rule.

Larry

Tobi,
I wonder two things about your "Grand Old Iron Lady" Is it possible she is possibly not German, Could she also be British? The flat bedways make me wonder, as flat ways were frequently a British design, I do not lnow if the German and other continental makers tended to manufacture lathes with Vee beds onlyin the era in which your lathe was constructed, Also she has no makers plate or cast on lettering (Her birth Certificate) This is a feature I have came across before whereby the manufacturers of a machine did not affix their nameplate, as they were building small batches of machine tools for a machine dealer, Who put on their own nameplate (or none) This led to "badge engineering."

Your lathe has some good solid features about its design I guess a simple no frills, well made, machine tool for a small repair shop or perhaps in a ships engine room The leg at the headstock end might be arranged to take a direct current electric motor driving up to a rear countershaft to give her an independant self contained drive

Some years back, I came across a really ancient lathe in which a large variable speed D.C. motor was built into the casting in the front leg It was a Spanish lathe With flat guideways on the bed somewhat like your machine , I guess it was an early example of a varible speed headstock.
Guess I have a fondness for your old lady lathe

Back