What's new
What's new

My New Toy, Er... New Tool

jdleach

Stainless
It may not seem like much to others here, but I am so delighted to finally get one of these things after 25 years.

It is a simple oil gun.

You see, most of my old machines are oiled through the typical hole/cup/ball-check type of lubrication point. That is, all of them except my Index Super 55 mill. While there are some cups on it, the ways have grease zerks for applying the oil. Since I have never owned an oil gun, the only way to oil the ways was by slathering it on with my fingers and a pump oil can. Looked at oil guns over the years, but the prices always sent spasms down my back (especially my right buttock where the wallet resides), and never found a used one. Too, I seemed to never find the time to modify a good grease gun so as to make it into an oil gun.

This past week, I once again looked at the guns on McMaster-Carr. And again, the price is chilling for the large 26 oz. model, a whopping $208. They offer a smaller version, but the specs. lead me to believe it comes from C#$%@a. I REFUSE to purchase anything else from there.

So I did an extensive Google search, and found a supplier of the Alemite 4035 oil guns for a mere $106. Still pricey, but Alemite is good stuff, and this one was dropped shipped to me straight from the factory in Johnson City, TN.

Got it yesterday, and it is a beauty. Own an Alemite grease gun I bought new some 30 years ago, and they have cheapened them somewhat from then, now using a molded plastic plunger handle instead of a cast aluminum/white metal one. But the essential quality is still there, heavy as hell, a cast iron head (nickel plated), and very good machining.

Going to the Shop later to properly oil my mill. I love it.

Attachments

• DSCN4011.jpg
    DSCN4011.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 470
Nice , I sometimes flinch a bit with things like this that seem crazy expensive, but then realize they are nice to use and will outlast me. Sometimes I find myself with a stupid grin when using a well made tool, especially if it’s something that I use a lot. I have been dealing with leaky Goldenrod Oil cans for 20 years. I finally spent $87 importing a nice Reilang from Jens Putzier. I love it, zero leaks, squids in any position, nice cast Aluminium body, it has a weighted swivel suction pipe. The 87 included shipping and a rebuild kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
6eb9c338fc795052eb3b3e55672b0bbd.jpg

Thanks men - I did not realize good stuff was still made on planet earth - even my prized quart size Eagle pump style squirt cans from long ago leak everywhere - including the bottom seam.

My Bridgeport, and before that, my Millrite, had zerks for way oil. So I converted a regular old grease gun to squirt oil. It sits upright, and doesn't leak oil all over the place. I forget the exact details, but a made a smooth sealing surface at the thread joint where I unscrew the pumping head to add oil. You can see the marks on the cartridge tube left by the lathe steady rest fingers. And inside either a rubber, delrin, or teflon washer to seal it up to the surface I created. Except at the pumper joint, and zerk end fitting, I epoxied all the threaded joints to prevent leakage. And an old antique oil can for the oil cups.

The end cap on the gun was slightly domed. So I epoxied a ring on the bottom so its stable standing upright.

Not necessarily a quality tool, like those above, but is an option that can be made to work.

Attachments

• grease_gun_for_oil.JPG
    grease_gun_for_oil.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 170
Ripper: They had those Reiling cans at the last place I worked (small German shop making rotary tables), and I was seriously impressed. Have thought about getting one myself. Have an old Eagle can, no doubt like John O.'s, I bought some 35 years ago. Threads finally stripped where the spout attaches to the can. Leaked occasionally too.

I wonder if you can get a "tip kit" for those Reilings so that you can have the different size tips that properly seal the ball type oiler point found on so many machines?

And John, don't know how much longer you can get the Alemite oilers. While looking for a supplier, ran across a recent article from a Tennessee newspaper that said Alemite (owned by SKF now) was closing the Johnson City plant. They are probably going to start slapping their name on the imported C%^/?!ese plastic bodied pieces of crap McMaster now sells.

Looking at your oiler ripper, and I see it is the double pump type. I wonder what the advantage is for the double pump over the single pump? Given that the prices are the same, I suppose I would just go ahead with the double.

It may not seem like much to others here, but I am so delighted to finally get one of these things after 25 years.

It is a simple oil gun.

You see, most of my old machines are oiled through the typical hole/cup/ball-check type of lubrication point. That is, all of them except my Index Super 55 mill. While there are some cups on it, the ways have grease zerks for applying the oil. Since I have never owned an oil gun, the only way to oil the ways was by slathering it on with my fingers and a pump oil can. Looked at oil guns over the years, but the prices always sent spasms down my back (especially my right buttock where the wallet resides), and never found a used one. Too, I seemed to never find the time to modify a good grease gun so as to make it into an oil gun.

This past week, I once again looked at the guns on McMaster-Carr. And again, the price is chilling for the large 26 oz. model, a whopping $208. They offer a smaller version, but the specs. lead me to believe it comes from C#$%@a. I REFUSE to purchase anything else from there.

So I did an extensive Google search, and found a supplier of the Alemite 4035 oil guns for a mere $106. Still pricey, but Alemite is good stuff, and this one was dropped shipped to me straight from the factory in Johnson City, TN.

Got it yesterday, and it is a beauty. Own an Alemite grease gun I bought new some 30 years ago, and they have cheapened them somewhat from then, now using a molded plastic plunger handle instead of a cast aluminum/white metal one. But the essential quality is still there, heavy as hell, a cast iron head (nickel plated), and very good machining.

Going to the Shop later to properly oil my mill. I love it.

Does that oil gun pump in all positions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The maintenance kit comes with a bunch of springs, the brass oil tube and a spare tip. I should have ordered a bunch of tips, I need the shorten the one I have and slit the end a bit ( so the ball doesn’t try and plug the oil can tip hole)

Not sure what the double pump does compared to the single, maybe just fills the tube quicker, the only pressure must come from the lever

Does that oil gun pump in all positions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I read in the instructions, it is all-angle, just like a regular grease gun. The piston/plunger and body are sealed much like a hydraulic cylinder, and so is not supposed to leak. Too, the seals are supposed to be standard Buna "O" rings and gaskets, readily procurable from any hydraulic supplier.

I might add that the flexible tip is my add-on, the gun comes with the short angled tube common to most grease guns. Luckily, the hose tip I found at the local NAPA jobber, and it is American made. Got the 20" version (the other was 12") for around $25.

Thanks ripperj. As soon as I recover from the purchase of my oil gun, I will spring for a Reilang. I am sorely tired of dinking with my POS Goldenrods.

Just ponied up for a couple of the fancy Reilang oilers- crazy expensive but a couple just for kicks seems like good clean fun and a nice upgrade from the junky home depot oilers I've been using. I never much liked the goldenrod oilers. For ball oilers I use one of the usual small grease guns converted to oil, and a homemade tip that presses the ball and kind-of seals against the housing- lots of pressure from the pump really gets oil inside.

You will be very pleased with the Reilangs.
JD- sorry to have derailed your thread.

A Note of Humor - Wallet Siatica

" but the prices always sent spasms down my back (especially my right buttock where the wallet resides)"

There actually is a recognized malady called "Wallet Sciatica", caused by sitting on a fat wallet.

The cure for this is a "Walletectomy," an operation which the medical profession perfected long ago !

JRR

The only complaint I have with you and the thread, is that I just bought one of those expensive damned cans! :D

I want another for the mill, but it’s hard to justify as the current one is only 3 steps away :)

Got my oilers today, they shipped quickly, plenty of shipping updates by email. I thought I ordered 2 of the same (single action pumpers) but I got one with a fixed pickup and one with a rotating one. The latter permits pumping from any angle (the angled pickup pivoting down by gravity to the lower portion of the bottle.

small-20180316_215738.jpg

Here's the fixed pickup can

small-20180316_220010.jpg

The 500ml bottles are great- thats a lot of oil compared to my old ones. I put vactra #2 in the any-angle oiler, it certainly does move the oil. No leaks with the full can held upside-down. > $40 for an occasional user like me is absurd of course, but it really is a nice piece & obviously good quality built to a high specification. I'll give the fixed pickup oiler to my dad, he would never buy something like this lol. Frankly I wouldn't mind a couple more to completely replace my junky oilers...

The one on the left looks like my double pump swivel, they are like $15 more.($55 for the 500ml I believe)
They are nice.

Back