What's new
What's new

My old drill press. Can you identify?

Abom79

Stainless
This is my old drill press that my grandad bought used back in 72. It was one of the first machines he purchased for the shop. It still workes great and I use it all the time. Ive never known the name or year the press was built. The tag at the top doesnt say anything. I think it may have been painted on or had some kind of printed tag but its wore completly off. Can anyone help me identify it?
265.jpg

266.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont have much to tell you but that is a sweet machine. I havent seen many camelback gang style drill presses in good shape. I cant see for sure but it looks like 1 side has powerfeed, and one doesnt. Very nice drilling setup! Thanks for sharing

Dont have much to tell you but that is a sweet machine. I havent seen many camelback gang style drill presses in good shape. I cant see for sure but it looks like 1 side has powerfeed, and one doesnt. Very nice drilling setup! Thanks for sharing

Your right. The press on the left is the one I use. Both work but the right side press had some parts robbed off it, such as some of the power feed parts. This thing works great. I can drill up to a 2 1/2" hole no problem.

I believe Rob is correct--Cannedy Otto. Those big multi-step sheaves and front belt guard are typical of C/O, one of the great drill press builders. An unusual set-up for a gang drill, great to see it alive and well.

Tom B.

Thanks guys for the info! I'll do a search and see if I can find anymore info on them. I would love to learn more about the history of this drill press.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing for sure - That collection of MT bits covering the bench , and filling the drawer , is nothing to sneeze at either .

Tom ........ sinfully coveting his neighbor's drill

One thing for sure - That collection of MT bits covering the bench , and filling the drawer , is nothing to sneeze at either .

Tom ........ sinfully coveting his neighbor's drill

Yes sir, theres quite a collection of drills on that table. Ive got them up to 3", and everything in between. I'll have to take some shots of the reamer cabinet next to it.

Old Drill Press ID

Proper identification will probably take some research on your part unless you just get lucky here on the forum

I have an Allen drill press that looks somewhat similar to yours. However, I am reasonably sure that mine is newer vintage. The manufacturers kept making improvements to stay up with competition. I also have another drill/boring machine that is similar made by Wadell Equipment Co, Garwood NJ.

A good clue to dating the machine is the fact that it has V-belt drives. That plus the stylized Art Deco strips cast into the upper belt guards would tend to place it in the 1930's. I wish others could chime in here, but understanding is that during that time there were just a few large drill press manufacturers. Most notably:

Buffalo
Cincinnati
Delta
Johnson
Alllen

My hunch is these are "Royal" drill presses, made by Canedy Otto. I recall using a Royal drill press in the 1960's. It had that style design, and the guard on the spindle pulley was kind of distinctive.

Joe Michaels

Thanks guys for the info! I'll do a search and see if I can find anymore info on them. I would love to learn more about the history of this drill press.

You might find the exact match and possibly a manual for it over at OWWM dot com. That's also a good place to "register" your machine, post photos and other data.

There was a bench model in Louisville for sale for the longest time - extremely heavy - came out of a Navy base/yard. WWII vintage - believe C-O had been bought out by the co in Cincy by then. Ck with the Henry Ford library in Detroit - I think they have some catalogs of that vintage.

Your 2 look great!

-=- Bob Colquitt

So when you drill a 2 1/2" hole do you step up from smaller sizes or just go at it? I've never drill a hole half that size so just curious. Very nice drill presses.

Yes I always start off small then step up to the large drills. The typical drilling order I use when I'm going big is, 1/2", 1 1/4", 1 7/8", 2 1/2". The big drills shake alot before getting completely in the whole its drilling, but the old machine works great.

Post #14, first image, is that an identification plate on the front of the cone pulley guard? Fourth image, same posting, what about the plate on the column of the drill on the right? Any clue to a maker?

Back