What's new
What's new

A Mystery Shaper / Planer

99Panhard

Stainless
About 10 years ago, about the time I joined this forum, I was talking to one of my antique arms collecting friends and showed him my shop... which, at the time, consisted of a camel back drill, power hacksaw and my 1880s Prentice Bros lathe. "Do you want a shaper?" he asked. "Sure"... it turns out that he had one in a building he owned, a former toolmaker's' shop. The gentleman had closed the shop around the end of WWII. The building had been cleared out, but this machine was left behind. The problem was that the man who was now renting the space had if full and getting it out was a problem. Over the past ten years we've joked about this. I never really thought he'd be able to get to it but last week he called and said "I've got that shaper out and loaded on my trailer... do you want to come and pick it up?" I'd have to tow it myself because he no longer has the truck he used the trailer with.

I went this morning... and quickly discovered that the "shaper" was really a small (maybe 4') open side planer. I could not find any maker's identification on it and know very little about them. I would describe it as dirty but clearly servicable. There's no rust...it's been inside its entire life. I doubt it has run since WWII but it was not an overhead belt machine. The one curious feature I noted was that the "arm" appears to raised and lowered via a wire rope cable but a quick internet search hasn't turned up anything similar.

Now I have a conundrum... if I'd seen it first I'd have suggested he offer it for sale. I suspect it's a pretty good machine and we know planers are about the only older machines that are consistently in demand. I may not even fit in my shop but I'll have to go back and take some measurements. That said, I have room for a 14" or 16" shaper but squeezing this in will require a lot of shifting and I don't think it's worth the effort. Unfortunately, I didn't think to bring a camera, presuming I'd just take some photos when I got back. I will probably go back next week, take some photos and measurements and post them here in the hope someone can use it. This gentleman and I go back a long time so he was prepared to give it to me but I can't extend that offer. I will say that it can probably be bought very reasonably and, it's already out of the building.

Located in Upton, Massachusetts. The toolmaker did a lot of specialized work for the big manufacturing companies in Mass before WWII. He was apparently planning to retire when WWII began. He'd invented a machine to mass produce hypodermic needles and spent the war years making them for the Army... when the war was over, he finally retired. My friend bought the property about 25 years ago from his widow who was in her 90s then.

About 10 years ago, about the time I joined this forum, I was talking to one of my antique arms collecting friends and showed him my shop... which, at the time, consisted of a camel back drill, power hacksaw and my 1880s Prentice Bros lathe. "Do you want a shaper?" he asked. "Sure"... it turns out that he had one in a building he owned, a former toolmaker's' shop. The gentleman had closed the shop around the end of WWII. The building had been cleared out, but this machine was left behind. The problem was that the man who was now renting the space had if full and getting it out was a problem. Over the past ten years we've joked about this. I never really thought he'd be able to get to it but last week he called and said "I've got that shaper out and loaded on my trailer... do you want to come and pick it up?" I'd have to tow it myself because he no longer has the truck he used the trailer with.

I went this morning... and quickly discovered that the "shaper" was really a small (maybe 4') open side planer. I could not find any maker's identification on it and know very little about them. I would describe it as dirty but clearly servicable. There's no rust...it's been inside its entire life. I doubt it has run since WWII but it was not an overhead belt machine. The one curious feature I noted was that the "arm" appears to raised and lowered via a wire rope cable but a quick internet search hasn't turned up anything similar.

Now I have a conundrum... if I'd seen it first I'd have suggested he offer it for sale. I suspect it's a pretty good machine and we know planers are about the only older machines that are consistently in demand. I may not even fit in my shop but I'll have to go back and take some measurements. That said, I have room for a 14" or 16" shaper but squeezing this in will require a lot of shifting and I don't think it's worth the effort. Unfortunately, I didn't think to bring a camera, presuming I'd just take some photos when I got back. I will probably go back next week, take some photos and measurements and post them here in the hope someone can use it. This gentleman and I go back a long time so he was prepared to give it to me but I can't extend that offer. I will say that it can probably be bought very reasonably and, it's already out of the building.

Located in Upton, Massachusetts. The toolmaker did a lot of specialized work for the big manufacturing companies in Mass before WWII. He was apparently planning to retire when WWII began. He'd invented a machine to mass produce hypodermic needles and spent the war years making them for the Army... when the war was over, he finally retired. My friend bought the property about 25 years ago from his widow who was in her 90s then.

It's better to get stuff like this then dispose of it later if it doesn't work out for you, than pass on it and regret it for the rest of your life.

Personally, I'd get it. I have 2 planers, myself. More useful than a shaper for a lot of jobs. I sold my shaper, sort of regretted it and got another one. However I've yet to set it up and run it, so....

PDW

Sharpers and planers, while somehow similar, are really different machines - that is why both were present together in many shops. I do have both as well, though my planer (probably 19th century) is in a different building. I do not use either machine that much, the sharper (Elliott) more for key-ways and splines. Recently I had to cut a V groove along the entire length of 4' long, 1" diameter steel bar and the planer was the ideal machine.

The temperature was up to the 40s today... almost "beach weather" compared to two weeks ago so I uncovered the mystery machine I picked up a month ago. I also got a chance to carefully measure its width and it will fit through the doors of my shop so, rather than sell it, I'm going to get it inside. Thankfully, it only has to move about 15 feet from where it sits to its permanent location.

But... I'm still wondering who made it and when. I went over it quite carefully today and still cannot find any makers name although there is a plate from a Boston machinery dealer.

IMG_0329.jpg IMG_0330.jpg IMG_0331.jpg

Last edited:
Is it just me, but it looks "Left Handed", usually seeing the operator/arm
on the other side.

Pix #1 looks to show (2) V ways, that has to narrow it down a bit.

Should i be offered one of these little planers & given I had the space I would jump at the chance, It is a baby size open side planer, In this size of machine they were frequently constructed with the drive similar to the internals of a shaping machine,
Thus they can work up to a line , good for internal work like facing steam engine cylinder valve faces.

your little planer has a similar drive system by the look of it, Another use these machines frquently were used for, was planing locomotive axle bearing sides (Usually a big bronze two part construction, I would imagine your machine will be an American manufacture, Over here in the U.K. the leading makers of these little machines was either The Butler Machine tool Co, Ormerod Of Hebden Bridge yorkshire or Ward Haggas & Smith of Yorkshire also These machines can giive a sppectacular finish and are a very useful machine tool to have.

Is it just me, but it looks "Left Handed", usually seeing the operator/arm
on the other side.

Pix #1 looks to show (2) V ways, that has to narrow it down a bit.

I agree it looks like a left hand machine.

But after studying it, it would be operated much like a shaper. The difference would be the workpiece moves rather than the tool, but the operators view of the workpiece when the controls are at the operators right hand would be pretty much the same as a shaper view.

A cool machine. I'd own one as well, given the chance.

Can't remember the manufacturer's name right now - hopefully pic is attached.

Edit: Found a pic of the cover page for the brochure.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 321
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 275
That's it! Apparently my friend, who thought it was a shaper, wasn't all that far off. This may be the perfect machine for my shop but I'd never even have thought to look for one. From the style of printing, Id guess that brochure was printed before 1920. It's obviously intended to be run off overhead belts so the motor attachment on mine, which is so well made that it looks as if it was a "factory" installation may just be a well made adaptation. It also has the biggest and heaviest 110V motor I've ever seen. The shop it came from was in a residential neighborhood, attached to what was probably the original farm house or the house of one of the workmen. It is quite an "upscale" area now but was out in the sticks when there was a machine shop there.

Here it is from American Machinist, Vol 50, March 27, 1919. A search for "26-inch Combined Open Side Crank Planer and Shaper" turned it up.

attachment.php

Irby

Attachments

• Lynd-Farquhar planer-shaper.jpg
    Lynd-Farquhar planer-shaper.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 805
That is a pretty ambitious machine, from what I have seen of their other offerings........which tend to be basic in nature, but creative.

Back