What's new
What's new

40" amereican woodworking bandsaw near me--- ebay listing---

toag

Cast Iron
Saw this band saw, it isnt a metal one... but wow. I live about 15 minutes away and can put a set of eyes on it if interested, don't know the owner from adam, and since it is has a "buy it now or OBO, i fealt it was ok to bring up, please correct me if i am wrong

The issue with a bansaw over about 36" is the lower wheel dips below the bottom of the frame, and the overall height gets up there.
Unless you lay it down, you cant ship it accross the country on a standard over the road flat bed, You need a drop deck truck or its over height.

Its a cool old saw, and those big tables are nice. Your dont wrestle with your work like you do on a small saw.

With 42" wheels you can have a decent blade speeds and babbit bearings.
The outboard motor and belt drive means any reasonable blade speed is obtainable.

Big issues will be tires for the wheels, blade guides and dust collection.

The age, condition and lack of dust collection will keep it out of most professional shops.
Few hobby shops can take it on. Just getting it into a building with an 8' door is a chalenge.
Even on a car hauler with out the upper wheel it probably wont go through the door without laying it over.

The other thing a saw this size needs is breaks. Kill the power and she will coast a long time.
There is a lot of flywheel on a saw this size.

Yes, I have a 36" saw and I have been down these roads.

Back