What's new
What's new

Need help figuring out value of tooling

marka12161

Stainless
Hi,

Not sure this question is appropriate here but if not, please set me straight and i'll delete it. When i bought my mill, I also bought a good sized lot of tooling. I just got around to figuring out what i want to keep and what i want to sell off.

In this lot there were four, apparently unused K&T cutters 8" x 1" wide x 1.5" bore with a 3/16" keyway. I believe the inserts are high speed steel. They appear to be held in place by tapered pins. All were covered in causmoline when i bought them. Three of them are pristine and the fourth has a large chip out of one of the cutters. I'm guessing this was shop damage rather than from use as all the other cutters are razor sharp (see link at the bottom for pics)

I intend to post these on the parts for sale forum but am not sure how to price them. I've looked at the sold listing on ebay for something comparable but come up empty.

I'd like any and all opinions and as i said, if this question is out of line, please let me know.

Thanks
Mark

Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help

They appear to be a matched set of HSS gang type slotting cutters with zero commercial value today.

Their value would likely be whatever you can get... good for display purposes or for someone with an overhead line shaft machine shop.

Mike

If your feeling generous, look on ebay for those style and size of cutters. Use the search setting to show you the sold listings, that's about the price they are worth.

Most folks have no use for that type of tooling, but I've got two horizontal mills. A #2 and a #5, can't wait to run cutters like with flood coolant.

The 3/16 key way in that bore is just amazing for its smallness.

There was a lady on Ebay that sold tons of this sort of stuff about 20 years ago. Some of my cutters that size were nearly free

Thank you all for the information. I too was astonished by the tiny keyway. I may just post these as a want-to-trade post and see if anyone has an interest. If nothing else, rather than giving them away, i may just make up a keyed bushing and try running them on a 1 inch arbor.

Thanks again,
Mark

Odd.

I see "McCroskey Jack Loc" cutters all over around here, and the keyway is bigger
(more normal sized).

Back