What's new
What's new

Need Help to Identify this Van Norman Boring Bar

denisj

Plastic
Hi All!

I am eager to make a mess of some cylinders on my motorcycle projects, but I am under the impression this boring bar I have is too big.

There is no model number on the machine and it looks to me to be a war time unit based on some pictures I found online

The cutting head is 2 5/8 in diameter. Obviously it will not cut the 44mm bore of the little Honda 160 I am working on.

Any insight would be great!!

20171207_203233.jpg
20171207_203333.jpg
20171207_203345.jpg
20171207_204346.jpg

Van Norman boring bars were amazing machines in their day. It has been quite a while since I used mine, but think it is the same size IIRC. They clamp over an adjacent cylinder to the one being bored by means of a crowfoot that expands into the adjacent cylinder........so you tend to need a two or more cylinder motor. People have fabricated fixtures to bolt single cylinder motors for boring. The next problem is that it will not go down small enough for what you have in mind..........certainly not small enough to properly make use of the "catspaw" to stabilize the cutter head. I am unaware of a Van Norman that goes down small enough.
Your project would best be done on a milling machine. Doing it on a lathe is possible, but more awkward and would require a fixture to hold the cylinder.

Here is another option to your problem. I have salvaged cylinders that were pretty screwed up. Some rebuilders "bore" a motor with these (automatic versions) instead of boring conventionally, and then honing. Because the stones are cranked out mechanically, they allow you to have a very good amount of "feel" for tight spots and irregularities.........and of course, you have the means to put the final hone on the cylinder.
Sunnen - Sunnen

I would sell it and look for a smaller one if you are doing smaller cylinders. Not sure what all Van Norman made but there are smaller boring bars out there.
I have done bike cylinders on a lathe but the boring bar is my go to.

Back