What's new
What's new

Need help identiying antique surface gauge

tjtoolie

Plastic
HI, This is my first post so bear with me. I'm a retied scientist that is filling his time selling antique tools and scientific instruments. A couple of days ago a found an antique surface gauge in a box of tools. It is 13" tall and has an ornate, hexagonal, solid cast iron base that is approx. 3: in diameter. I have attached a couple of pica. Can anyone tell me the manufacturer, model number and approx. age ? Also I know that there are collectors of these gauges so if anyone can give me a range of its value it would be much appreciated. Thanks so much, Tjtoolie

Attachments

• P7260001.jpg
    P7260001.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 541
  • P7260002.jpg
    P7260002.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 432
  • P7260003.jpg
    P7260003.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 386
HI, This is my first post so bear with me. I'm a retied scientist that is filling his time selling antique tools and scientific instruments. A couple of days ago a found an antique surface gauge in a box of tools. It is 13" tall and has an ornate, hexagonal, solid cast iron base that is approx. 3: in diameter. I have attached a couple of pica. Can anyone tell me the manufacturer, model number and approx. age ? Also I know that there are collectors of these gauges so if anyone can give me a range of its value it would be much appreciated. Thanks so much, Tjtoolie

TJToolie;

Cannot help you with the manufacturer, but this looks like it is late 19th century to early 20th century (1880 to 1910). I am basing this on the patina, style of wing nut, and style of finish on the piece. The hexagonal base is unique and is the first of that type I have seen. I collect Starrett tools along with surface gages and would definitely bid on this if you put it on eBay. As for value, unless this is a very special gage by a known manufacturer, my guess is that it is in the range of $35 to $70. I have paid in that range for similar vintage surface gages from unknown makers. Like any item, the value is in what someone is willing to pay for it.

Regards;

Ron

Is that an American pattern on the hex base or some type of French pattern? A type of Flor-de-Liz design?

It looks cool.

Being a collector of such things and knowing a lot about them it looks to me like what we would call a shop made surface gauge that the guy used a found object for the base. To me it just does not look factory, as in commercially produced, made. The base design is seen in other objects, especially those spikes on a desk in which to to stick papers on however this one is a little bigger. The wing nut is a stock item from the period, the clamp looks fairly amateurish as noted by the tool marks from turning.

As for a date and price range, I think Ron is just about right on, I might say 1890 to 1920. Value is what someone will pay but also depends on how many buyers there are at that moment.

Thanks for posting it, it is pretty cool to see something a little different.

I agree with Rivett. They could have done a better job on the finial at the top of the post,too. The waist is not nearly curved in enough.

I have seen a lot worse detailing,but the maker seemed to have a reasonable,but incomplete idea of how nice detailing was done.

Thanks to all of you !!! All great points to consider. The condition of the gauge, as seen in the pics, is as it came out of the box. I had already decided to put it up on eBay but wanted as much background as possible before I did that. I restore/refurbish the items I sell, if needed. I have Collectors and Users who want items finished to their personal preferences. For vintage tools and instruments I go by the credo of 'only restore to the level that a pridefull owner/user would maintain his tools/instrument'. I try to not 'over-clean' anything. I will lightly clean this up for the 'Collector' and post it on eBay in a couple of days (ebay ID is tjtoolie) Once again thanks for all your help. You guys are a great resource! I will definitely be back with future machinist related questions !!

Back