What's new
What's new

need help w/old Bandsaw (Craftsman?)

Chris M

Cast Iron
103.01.01 IIRC on the plate just to the left of the pulley. Or was it 103.0101. Anyway, just curious if anyone has the same unit, and what you do for blades. Mine is blue, though I don't know if that's the original color.

I thought most of the "blue" Sears stuff was "Companion" or possibly "Dunlap", not Craftsman.

Is that an upright type?

It's a 10" 2-wheel vertical bandsaw. Blue was universal for most of the time it was used. I think Dunlap and Companion stuff was the last to use it. But if this bandsaw is too new then the blue isn't original.

it is an upright type. It probably dates from the 40's or 50's. Was told it was made for Craftsman by King-Seeley.
Anyone have pointers for making my own blades. I already have a roll of 1/4" metal cutting blade and I'd like to put it to use. I realize there are kits/jigs for setting it up, but I've never brazed or silver soldered before, and I only own basic equipment (i.e. propane plumber's torch).

Go to the Harbor Freight site and download the manual for item 36597 "DELUXE BLADE BRAZIER KIT". This $30.00 kit is made in the USA and might be worth buying; the free-for-download manual is a MUST HAVE if you need to learn how to braze band saw blades. Charles

If this is a wood saw, gonna have to slow it down to cut metal, although you could probably cut alum OK. Good luck, Jim.

Not certain, but I thought the older Craftsman bandsaws, d.p's, etc., were rebadged Atlas or Walker-Turner. You might be able to find your identical saw in OWWM.com, by looking under those brands.

This was made by King-Seeley, as the "103" model prefix shows. IIRC they didn't sell stuff in the US under their own name. But these were popular saws are they are on OWWM.

it originally came with 1 metal cutting blade, which broke not long after I got it. The guy cut through a ~1/2" diameter bolt with no problem. If speed becomes and issue, I suppose I could change the pulley to slow it down. So no one has one of these things :(

Actually I think I have one......

Father in law got a new one and gave me the old Craftsman. I found blades at Lowes. Vermont American Brand....I think. Don't remember size.

Grant

According to the 1939 Sears catalog, it's a light-duty wood cutting bandsaw that sold for $19.95 or $25.90 brand new without a motor. The blade is 63" and it was designed to use 1/8, 1/4, and 3/8" widths.

The bearings on the $19.95 version are all bronze bushings and should be cleaned and oiled before being used much. The ball bearings on the $25.90 model should probably be replaced at this age.

I don't know much about bandsaw blade weldinb, but there are shops that'll make them for you without too much fuss.

About the blade speed -I have a three wheel machine that has 10" wheels. Here is a "rule of thumb" that works (if your wheels are different diameters then you have more math to do).

For cutting wood, the 1725 rpm motor, through pulleys is REDUCED in speed four times (ie motor pulley is 2", driven pulley is 8")

For cutting metal (same saw, different blade) the blade speed is REDUCED 30x It may take some kind of jack shaft and extra pulleys, but that works and you don't burn up metal cutting blades.

The saw I have uses a jack shaft, motor drives a v-belt to the jshaft, chain and sprockets finish the reduction to the bandsaw wheel.

Hope this helps.

I own one of there saws and new the material that goes on the wheels for driving the blade. any idea where to look?

Any shop with a DoAll saw will have a blade welder. If you want to send me the blade, I could weld some, but you should be able to find someone local. Almost any metalworking job shop will have a welder because you just about cannot run one with it.

Bill

Back