What's new
What's new

Need parts/info for a B+D valve refacer

armen

Aluminum
I have a Black and Decker valve refacing tool I bought used a long time ago. The only info on the tool is '5/8" valve refacing tool' and 'serial # B1381.
I'm figuring it's at least 50 years old.
Basically all there. I'd like to find a smaller collet, the drive belts (there should be 2-both are missing), and a manual.
I called Black and Decker, they can't help me without a model #.
I can't find one. All I see is 5/8" Valve Refacing Tool.
Any leads on parts, manuals, figuring out the model #, date of manufacture, etc?
thanks muchly,
-Armen

I have one also that is missing some parts. I would love to fix it and get it back into service again. Post some photos of yours. Maybe between the 2 of us we will make a half wit and be able to figure it out.

Mike :cool:

Coincidence, I just "re-belted and re-wheeled my B-D

I have a B-D Model N-W with 5/8" collet.

The replacement collets seem to be quite dear. I have made up several "reducers" for different applications. A collet "update" kit will make you want to set down when you see the price.

The wheels came from an engine rebuild supply outfit. There is an e-bay seller offering belts and wheels. Google B-D valve grinder. You will find them.

The belts (this machine has 3) were sourced from McMaster Carr. 3L-210s. at about $7 each. Your machine may be different.

I don't grind many valves, though it's nice to know it can when needed.

I do grind "glass" and have a diamond wheel for that application.

The stem grinder feature is just the ticket for squaring the abused tips of pin punches ;-)

Could you post a picture? I have a 20s one that is labeled 5/8, it has flat belts and a jacobs chuck ,painted black.

There are at least 2 different 40s-50s ones --usually painted red.

then the 60s ones are a sort of gold color

Lacey williams has some adapters for small stems
Lacey M. Williams Equipment Co. - Phillipsburg, NJ -

they are a little $$, more than I paid for 2 of my machines, the newest small valves I do on my oldest machine with the jacobs chuck

I have a 60s parts machine --no collets

Armen & gents,

I have a "B&D Use and Care Handbook for Valve Reconditioning Equipment" which I'm happy to share. It's just a small pamplet, 5x7, 15 pages, published in 1965, but it has some useful information.

I scanned it as a PDF but I cannot figure out how to load that kind of file into my album or directly to this post. If you would like a copy just PM or email me at [email protected].

Bob :cheers:

Back