What's new
What's new

Neglected Libby turret lathe

xXThunderGodXx

Plastic
I came across an old iron monster sitting next to someone's barn while driving down the road. I asked the man what his plans were for it and he will be scrapping it and offered to sell it to me for $400.
Having no room or way to move this beast I opted to buy all the loose tooling in the pan including a 16" union tool co. No. 118 4 jaw in damn fine shape , other than some surface rust and stiff jaws. Also a hardinge no.2 collet chuck which sadly is in a bad way. A collet was in it and water got in between the collet and the sleeve and made it all crusty. Aside from that it's in OK shape. The real meat of this post is the massive Cushman 3 jaw scroll chuck on the lathe itself and how to remove it. The chuck is at least 20" across (didn't have a tape measure) does anyone out there know how Libby attached chucks to their lathes? I would like to go back and bring it home. I am posting a link to my Instagram picture of the machine.
Instagram

If any big bolts in face near center I'd have those out and see where I was. Throw some suitable wood under to break the fall if it drops off

Its not a BIG Libby gal, those have 12 or 14" spindle bores

The bore on this one is a good 8" at least. When I go back I plan on having my trailer with a small crane on it to hook up to the chuck. I may take the tool post as well.

The bore on this one is a good 8" at least. When I go back I plan on having my trailer with a small crane on it to hook up to the chuck. I may take the tool post as well.

W&S's Extra Heavy Duty 21" three jaw was set up for 11 or 15" A type spindle nose (six each large - 3/4 and 7/8" - respectively) socket head cap screws attaching, but if the Libby is old enough, it could have anything from threads to proprietary flanged spindle nose

Back