What's new
What's new

Neighbors LaBlond 13" Regal for sale

Looks like the exact same lathe as mine. Short bed "trainer" model. Mine has a taper attachment. I have had it for about 4 yrs and really enjoy running it. The broken teeth would be a concern. The gear teeth are known to be the weak link in the Regal line. Repair would require total disassembly of the gear head. Don't think I would pay that price for one needing repairs. I would highly recommend it for a lathe in this size range. Mine was turnkey and in very good shape, with 1 HP single phase motor, 3 and 4 jaw chucks for $750.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 405
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 428
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 389
Gary:
I had much the same deal as Billygoat. I got a 13" x 42" LeBlond "trainer" model, with the taper attachment and fully tooled, as a "turnkey" machine for 700 bucks, no repairs needed. I put my LeBlond lathe right to work with nothing more than a good cleaning and oil change in the headstock.

The damaged gear teeth are not something to be repaired by brazing. I believe those gears are cut from steel and possibly heat treated. I do not think a brazed repair would hold up, nor would the teeth be accurate enough for the application. There are some used gears from LeBlond Roundhead Regal headstocks on ebay. Maybe those might work if you were to buy this lathe. You will need to dismantle the headstock to do the repairs, so may as well put in solid gears rather than repaired ones.

I think the price is way out of line for a lathe of this type with damaged gears in the headstock. I do not know how good an area you live in for finding used machine tools, but I don;t think Traverse City is a total "desert" for used machine tools either. A little distance to places like the downstate area or around Toledo and I would think some used machine tools of this type might be available. I would not give more than 300-400 bucks for the lathe in the shape it is in- assuming everything else is OK. With hunks of gear teeth loose in the headstock, I'd be sure to check the internals of the headstock thoroughly before buying that lathe to be sure there was no further damage. I'd also make sure I could line up some used replacement gears before buying that lathe. Lost Creek Machinery (possibly in Ottawa, Illinois ?) may have some used LeBlond Roundhead Regal headstock gears to sell.

"I believe those gears are cut from steel and possibly heat treated."

Yes, the gears are hardened and ground. The gear with missing teeth is the exact same one as in the one from the 60s that I have at work. Guess they never learned... Other issue is that this is not *A* gear, it is a four gear cluster made in one piece. Luckily, it is the endmost gear, so it is possible you could get a Boston or similar gear of the correct dimensions and shrink/weld it onto the cluster.

Okay, priced reduced to $700. I think he changed to oil in the head stock when he got it and has only used it a few times. He uses a South Bend 10L as his main lathe. The only advantage the South Bend has over the LaBlond is a larger hole through the head stock. Other than that the LaBlond is a much better and heavily built lathe. He has offered it to me but I have three lathes and no additional room.

Gary:

I am in the same situation of having three (3) lathes. Of the three, I use my South Bend 10L more often. The larger hole thru the headstock spindle and a set of 5 C collets is usually the deciding factor. I use my LeBlond 13" for heavier jobs (within the envelope of a light-duty geared head lathe). The third lathe is a South Bend 10K, fully tooled in nice condition which was given to me as it needed a home. I doubt I have used the light 10" (10K) twice in maybe 15 + years. It sits under a cover.

To give an idea of what kind of jobs I run in the LeBlond 13: We had a Cummins diesel engine on an old locomotive which had some coolant in the crankcase. Bad news. Before we assumed the worst cases, I decided to check the oil cooler for a leak. We got the oil cooler off the Cummins engine and over to my shop. My plan was to put an air test on one "side" of the cooler (shell or tube sides) and see if held air pressure. The oil side (shell side) of the cooler was the easiest to blank off. I had a piece of 1/2" A-36 steel plate that was just right for the blanking plate. I laid out and drilled all the bolt holes in the plate, then made a "boss" out of square stock and tapped it for 1/4" pipe threads. I welded the boss to the plate and was deciding how I'd get the sealing surface of the blanking plate flat. I decided the easiest and quickest way was to weld a chunk of 2" round stock to the side of the plate with the pipe connection. This gave me what I call a "spud" or a "chucking boss". The plate dimensions escape me at the moment, but chucked in the LeBlond lathe, the corners of the plate neatly cleared the carriage wings when I pulled the spindle over by hand. I had "burned in" the chucking boss and pipe connection using stick welding (E 6010 & E 7018) and did "quarter the welds" and peen them with the needle scaler to try to minimize the plate curling from the weld stress. I chucked the plate in the LeBlond 13" lathe and with a high speed steel toolbit, took about a 0.030" deep facing cut. It was an interrupted cut, and the plate was large enough that it was near the limit of the lathe's capacity. The LeBlond lathe peeled off 0,030" like nothing using a fairly coarse power feed. To finish the plate, I actually ran a coarse feed to get a "phonograph finish" to "bite into the gasket". The whole job took maybe 20 minutes in the lathe. On the 0.030" cut, the chips were coming off blue and I was slopping on the sulphur/lard cutting oil.

I could not see using good gasket material for this air test, so cut a gasket from the thin cardboard of an empty cat litter box. The gasket was oiled and the bolts made up.

The air test on the cooler was done with a "Christmas Tree" having a couple of needle valves and a pressure gauge. It let me do a leakdown test. While the air was being put into the cooler, I did a soapsuds test of the gasketed joint. It was "bubble tight". The leakdown test showed me the cooler did have some leaky tubes, very small leaks but enough to put coolant into the crankcase when the engine was shut down.

It is jobs like that blanking plate that show what that 13" Roundhead lathe can do. I use the Roundhead Regal lathe for jobs that are either too big to go into the 10L South Bend Lathe, or jobs which require hogging off a lot of metal- something the Southbend lathe is slower at doing. My Regal was built in 1943. Recently, I made some bearing quills out of 3" aluminum bar stock. These had to be bored to accept ball bearings at either end, so things had to be dimensionally accurate as well as concentric. I did the job in the LeBlond Regal lathe. I had no trouble hitting half thousandths for the fits to accept the bearings. I also had no problem maintaining concentricity using a 4 jaw chuck and steady rest. I enjoy using my 13" Roundhead Regal lathe, but I am realistic enough to know it is a light duty engine lathe, and is far from a toolroom machine. At the same time, it is a surprising machine in the work I can do with it.

. "Other issue is that this is not *A* gear, it is a four gear cluster made in one piece" Does the four gear cluster resemble a cone pulley? If so I would guess that the gears were made one at a time and pined together as I can see no practical way to machine them if they were made as one block. The pins could be "blind" that is to say not visible from the outside of the gear cluster. Anyway that is just a guess I wasn't there when he took the head off the lathe, changed the oil and examined the insides.

. "Other issue is that this is not *A* gear, it is a four gear cluster made in one piece" Does the four gear cluster resemble a cone pulley? If so I would guess that the gears were made one at a time and pined together as I can see no practical way to machine them if they were made as one block. The pins could be "blind" that is to say not visible from the outside of the gear cluster.

The cluster gear may be very hard to find if you can find one at all. I think it is a solid piece similar to a cluster gear in a 4 speed std transmission. No pins. I had the top of the head off mine and can vaguely remember it.

I have a complete working headstock for this machine under my workbench if anyone needs gears. There are no broken teeth. Lost Creek is asking $300 for each cluster gear set on eBay...

ETA: It appears the gear clusters actually sold for $300 each because they are gone. Wow!! My headstock is coming apart and going on eBay.

Last edited:
hsracer201: If you PM me your telephone number I will forward it to who ever buys this lathe. Question: If the gear clusters are gear against gear how did they make them. Perhaps what I imagine they look like is wrong and the gears in the cluster is separated by a spacer.

HSRacer:

What spindle nose is on the LeBlond Headstock you are going to part out ? I have a 13" Roundhead Regal with the threaded spindle nose. If the spindle in the headstock you have has the Long Taper nose, I'm interested.

Regards-
Joe Michaels

I find it hard to believe there hasn't been more interest in this. The short bed doesn't take much space and if you take it apart it is light enough to be put in a basement.

Gary: I think the price is way out of line for a lathe of this type with damaged gears in the headstock. I would not give more than 300-400 bucks for the lathe in the shape it is in- assuming everything else is OK. With hunks of gear teeth loose in the headstock, I'd be sure to check the internals of the headstock thoroughly before buying that lathe to be sure there was no further damage. I'd also make sure I could line up some used replacement gears before buying that lathe.

Gary: Price is still too high. I agree with Joe. I would go no more than $250. Then buy a gear, hope nothing else is broken, then have to tear apart the head and rebuild it. Too many unknowns. This would make a good machine for a novice but a novice may not want to get involved with a machine like this. Your neighbor could always buy the parts, rebuild it and then ask $700 for it. He may not want to get that involved with it either. You are limiting your potential buyers by having a machine in need of repair.

I disagree Billygoat. The lathe works fine except for the slowest speed and how often does someone need the slowest speed. When cutting something at the largest diameter the lathe can handle? Or someone who is just learning threading? It is a gear head lathe with better dials that came on a South Bend and it is small enough to take apart and put in a basement and I am guessing that the ways are hardened.Anyway, my friend found a three jaw chuck with a back plate that fits the lathe so that will go with it.LeBlond Regal 13" Lathe

Back