What's new
What's new

New Shapers for the shop

Fregoe

Plastic
Hey everyone I just picked up a couple of shapers for the shop. I got a 7" Rhodes and a 16" Ohio. I don't know if I made the right decision picking them up or if they're for display only. I've been cleaning them up and so far the Ohio is all moving freely. Both have been converted to electric motors. Well I better get back to cleaning they need a lot of it.
IMG_0053.jpgIMG_0054.jpg

Years ago, we used to have to machine brass wear plates that measured about 20x20x2". Since they were sand cast, the first cut was hard on milling cutters, so we started using our 20" shaper for the rough cut. Since the casting was "one-size-fits-all", it sometimes had to be thinned down by an inch. Not a problem for the shaper, though we'd use a wheelbarrow for a chip tray. The chips were stored in 55 gallon drums until we had enough to return them to the foundry.

I found out that the head is actually off a 69 MGB according to the casting numbers. It has air injection into the cylinders for emissions. Going to sell the 7" to a local guy that really wants it. I'll keep the 16" and it will be basically a free machine.

The extra table length is real handy. I don't recall seeing the extra length on the older models of that size.
Wish mine had it.

Back