What's new
What's new

Lathe:WOW! Thats really heavy duty, what is it?

:DYa, I hopefully am going to by an old lathe 'just because' it is really heavy duty and has a little over 1 3/4 inch spindle hole which will be great. This is a Lineshaft converted machine with 1 1/2 hrsp. Motor and a Jeep three speed tranny, works the best. But I know that there are differant ones made :Railroad, oilfield ETC. so, maybe one of the specialties is what this is . It homes wth 2 tool holders, a center rest, a follower rest, 3 and 4 jawed chucks and I est. the lathes size to be 20 X 26 working sizes. Does anyone after looking at the photo's see anything that they can tell me something about as I cannot tell what type of lathe it is nor what Brand, manufacturer it is (which I need to know to look for parts) or what it was used for as it looks like a special purpose lathe but I certainly may be dead wrong.

All I do know for 100%is, that I don't know.

Feel free to send private messages:typing:. Any help will be appreciated,
Invent_4U

Last edited:
yeah
it's got the look of the old second opp swasey's
with some home brew gowin on on the chuck and drive
maybe everything but the bed

won't be any factory support on somthin in this class

Market value of that lathe is pretty much zero. Some scrap value but time and fuel to get it to scrap yard about the same as scrap value, thus zero.

Cool factors and design on that one pretty much zero too ;)

I've spent money on machine tools that I sure don't need, but I have always tried to make sure that they were relatively complete and would be useful after no more than a moderate amount of work. But I donno about this lathe .... it sure looks like a boat anchor to me. No tailstock (it does appear to be a turret lathe, but as mentioned above, turret is missing), no leadscrew, no quickchange gearbox, etc. etc.
It's your money and I sure wouldn't want you to not do what you really want, but if I were making the decision I'd save my money and keep looking for something essentially complete. There are lots of old machines out there ... sometimes it just takes a while to find the right one.
Good luck with your decision!

Don (Milacron) is of course correct, but if you can positively identify the make and model then there are two parts which might have some value in relation to fixing up or completing another turret lathe of the same make/model

1) The chuck is a no-brainer salvage item. Somebody, somewhere, needs it. eBay it.

2) The carriage/cross slide with the two nice toolholders could be useful to an owner of that sort of turret lathe. In order to sell or utilize this, you must know for certain what the make/model is.

And of course there is always the electric motor and its controls.....and the Jeep transmission. Could be nice to have if you ran across another flat-belt machine and wanted to convert it.

I dunno, $50 maybe??? $40 ??? With the understanding that it would not even get unloaded, just stripped of the above parts and the rest scrapped without even taking it out of the truck.

JRR

Don't forget them legs.....

I might be lynched for bringing it up but you could salvage legs as "industrial deco". Seems to be all the rage at the moment. Taking the legs off old industrial stuff and using them for furniture and what not. I must confess I did this myself once with an old Singer sewing machine treadle base. Made a rock solid table and very pretty too it was with the scroll work and all. These legs are sort'a plain jane but who knows...... The spindle cone might be useful to someone too for an improvised counter shaft......The whole thing might be OK for woodworking stuff, but would still be somewhat limited to bowls and such with out the tailstock. Maybe could use the whole base minus lathe for another machine or a bigger benchtop lathe to make it free standing. I'd try to come up with something, hell anything before I send it to the scrap pile. Can't stand to see anything that could/might be useful go to waste.

Regards,
Jim

There could be some useful salvage there, alright....

Someone needs that gearbox, whether to re-power an old machine, or as parts for a Jeep rebuild.

Saving the chuck is obvious.......it may be a usable chuck for an older lathe, or it may be worn enough that its new home will be as a welding fixture.....in either case, its worth saving. The toolholders will doubtless be useful to someone.

That cone pulley should be pulled off and its dimensions noted here. There's a realistic possibility that someone, somewhere, might have a use for it as a countershaft cone. It would be easiest to just leave it on the spindle.

The legs and oil pan may well be usable by someone who has a 'bench lathe', like a 9" or light 10" South Bend or any of that general ilk. They'd make up into a much nicer arrangement for the machine than the usual light wooden bench.

So.......as you see, you've quite a few useful bits and pieces there.

cheers

Carla

Where other people see nothing but "heavy melting scrap", we see at least some useable bits and pieces. Does that make us "inventors" or just "frugalists"???

Hey, if the legs are sell-able to some yuppie, then so be it. Still a better fate than the coupola furnace.

Isn't that a TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan-Cooled) electric motor? A new one of those would set you back for sure.

JRR

Back