What's new
What's new

New York & New Jersey Lubricant Co. No. F-925 non-fluid oil

Can anyone confirm a modern equivalent to this lubricant:
"New York & New Jersey lubricant Co. No. F-925 non-fluid oil"?

Research has revealed conflicts:

1. Mobil distributor recommends (the 3 lubes that hendeyman posted re: 9" Hendey lathe):

Since 1940, the chemistry and manufacture of lubricating oils, greases, and gear lubricants has changed, in some cases rather significantly. With that in mind and based upon the information that you have furnished, product recommendations based upon today’s technologies and chemistries would be,
  • <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Lube oil: MOBIL DTE HEAVY MEDIUM; available in 5 gallon pails and 55 gallon drums <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Grease: MOBILUX EP 2; available in 40/14 oz carts case and 35.2 pound pail
  • Gear reducer: MOBIL DTE BB; available in 5 gallon pails and 55 gallon drums
Here is a reference for the grease:

http://www.exxonmobil.com/USA-English/Marine/PDS/GLXXENMRNEMMobiluxEP2.asp

2. Another reference, lists the 'non-fluid oil' among (archaic) grade-1 lubes:

http://www.pennbarry.com/ecatalog/GetFile.aspx?FileID=5875

My concern is the Mobilux EP2 (lithium based NLGI #2), as compared to NLGI #1 grease (lighter) - when used in the headstock bearings (Fafnir MM 9113 WI (L) Thrust). Is NLGI #2 ok for this Fafnir bearing (it seems to be viscous for this bearing)?

As i understand the lubrication system (according to Hendeymans posts), this lathe is lubricated almost exclusively with grease:
all zerk fittings (about 36 of them) will get this grease (whatever it is), and the way oil is for: the ways, 2 gits cups (on cross slide), 2 ball oilers (on tailstock).

tia

Mobil had been unable to reference the obsolete NY & NJ Company.

I contacted the Mobil tech center, provided the characteristics of the lathe
as: 2,000 rpm, having plain bronze and ball bearings, total loss lubrication - the loss of which lubricates other parts (gears in tiny troughs), and an operating temp of 40 - 80 deg f. and a obsolete reference for a grease of NLGI #0, or #1, and asked for a recommendation for both a grease and an oil that will work well. they specified:

a. Given that i will be lubricating bearings and gears: ISO-68 DTE heavy medium (if bearings only, would have been ISO-46, DTE medium)
They advised to lube a couple of times each day, since the oil will drain out of the bearings.

b. Grease: XHP-220 (NLGI #0).
The oil is not incompatible with the grease.
Neither MSC, nor Mcmaster-Carr carry the XHP-220 grease.

I will try oil only & see if it works (if not switch to grease, which i abhor now, after scraping over 1 quart out, and a lot of soap).

Here are 2 references that i have found, in my search of 'non-fluid' oil;

1. Mobil industrial resource center (if you have a lube problem, call them & they'll help) 800-662-4525
2. Alemite (zerk fitting) tech hotline. Although i found them to be < useful, their no. is: 800-628-9069

Machinery handbook, from around 1943, states that the term 'non-fluid' oil was a very light/watery grade of grease, roughly equivalent to todays NLGI #0, or #1 (less than NLGI 2). As far as I can figure, Hendey's intent was for a light (and difficult to find today) grease, lighter than NLGI #2 (or a viscous oil - not sure about the oil, except for the apron).

The apron appears to use oil, not grease. There are 2 zerks that have tubes terminating at the worm gear troughs, to fill them. The other zerks at the apron all appear to require oil.

Back