What's new
What's new

newark machine gear cutter

idacal

Hot Rolled
I got a newark machine gear cutter from a member here and he has been an incredible help getting it here and answering questions. but I hate to keep bugging him. I just got it powered up and am looking at all the different oiling tubes and some covers say heavy machine oil and some extra heavy and I dont know the difference. also a good cutting oil Im using the rigded pipe threading stuff right now in everything. any advice would be incredibly helpful. I fired the machine up and let it run at a couple of cycles at were its set its startling how slow it travels through the cut and how fast it cycles through to the next cut. those manufactures knew what they were about. I got this machine to make a couple of gears that are going to be trial and mistake getting right because they are totally shot

You're using Rigid cutting oil in everything!? Pretty sure you don't want to do that! I wouldn't have bought an automatic machine just to make 2 gears. "Trial and mistake" is no way to approach gear cutting. Even if the old ones are shot you can usually gather enough evidence to figure out what they were to start.

jboogie I misspoke on my post (a few drinks will do that to me) on this machine I haven't done anything yet just got it powered up and ran it a couple of cycles the ridged stuff was threading on the the lathe. as for buying it to make 2 gears I tried to get quotes all over the northwest only one company would quote it. I also wanted it just because.
johnoder thank you I will get it ordered I didn't know where to start looking

Idacal

If you can get me model and year or close plus any pics I can see if we have any documentation. plus we all love pics. We have had many newarks over the years and still have quite a few. I'm not sure if we have any books but I can check into it. The biggest one I have run would cut a 120" diameter.

thank you deselle that would be great Im in the process of cleaning it right now. its looking a lot better. It has 2 patent dates one of 1907 and of 1908 on it and a its no. 719 do not know were too look for the serial number. I will get pictures tomorrow

here is a few picks thanks for all the advice.

Attachments

• IMG_2079.jpg
    IMG_2079.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_2080.jpg
    IMG_2080.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 394
Serial 719 prior to 1935

I'll guess its a CUTTER and not a HOBBER

It uses form cutters

If it was a HOBBER - using HOBS - the slide holding the cutter would have to be adjustable for angle

Install one of those outboard supports before you take any cuts with it. It's basically an indexing milling machine and is fairly simple. However, it's so close to a Barber-Colman hobbing machine I'm surprised they didn't build it as a hobber. It's only missing the hob swivel and one more gearbox. I guess by using a single form cutter they could raise its capacity.

I think ZK has a wire machine - ask him to cut some fly cutters to try out - assuming you can make the Newark feed slow enough for one tooth

You could let the first several be phonies made from plastic or even wood see how they "rolled" on the big gear

You could let the first several be phonies made from plastic or even wood see how they "rolled" on the big gear[/QUOTE]

thats why I got this machine. this drill rig still makes good money every year and dont want to scrap it but the only quote back was from rush gear and they were pushing 5 figures and that was a maybe. but if I had a 400,000.00 precision gear machine I wouldn't want to cut a course pitch gear one off. for any price. I do the same in drilling. if its not worth it you dont make money doing it by the time you fix everything that breaks. I have all kinds of feed gears hopefully I can hit the right one

Idacal

I spoke to our gear shop foreman today and he thinks they have some of the literature for the newarks. Yours looks to be what we always called a number 4 but I don't know why we called them that. Our machines that size would cut up to 48" max diameter but we never went that big on them.

Hope to know something tomorrow

BTW. Idacal? Were you from California?

Thankyou deselle that would be great. I was actually born in marin lived in richmond, Oakland, and then los gatos. moved to idaho in my teens. but My user name was actually a the brand of my first drill rig. A few years later I realized I had misspelled it it was suposed to be ideco. i laugh at myself everytime i punch it in

Idacal

We have the literature for the 100" Newark single pass machine. I suspect there are a lot of similarities to yours. I'm picking up the lit tomorrow and I'll scan it to you.

Hope it helps,

Nathan

thank you I have a browne and sharp operators manual and cheat sheet but some stuff isn't matching up and its the important stuff like gear ratios

If you have the index constant then that's all you need to run the machine. If you don't have that or the feed constant, gear the machine 1:1 and run it, count the # of indexes to go 360 degrees and that will be your index constant. Same with the feed- gear it 1:1, run the machine and measure how far it feeds for a given number of cutter arbor rotations.

Back