What's new
What's new

Odball small old horizontal mill - Mossberg & Granville

TomBoctou

Hot Rolled
I was offered this small mill yesterday. Can't say I need another one, but it's enough of an oddball that I considered it.

mb-1.jpgmb-2.jpg

The handwheel sticking way off to the right is the Z axis. The Y is behind the head, and moves the head forwards and backwards. I can only assume that this made sense at the time, so maybe it's for some specialized operation and isn't intended to be used like a normal mill? It has a drawbar holding what looks like a MT2 collet, but I didn't have an MT2 to compare.

It's labeled Mossberg & Granville, Providence, RI. I can find mention of them making drop forging hammers and similar, and typewriters, but no mills.

Anyone have any idea what this thing's story is?

The spindle is more likely 7 B&S than 2 Morse. The limited cross travel and screw longitudinal feed makes me think that the mill was meant for cutting keyways in shafts or, with a dividing or indexing head, cutting gears.

Larry

I have heard of the company.
Listed in Cope's Milling Machine book on page 139.
They made machines for the jewelry and silversmiths trades.
The mill was introduced in 1897 as a small die making mill to sell to the users of their presses for the jewelry and silversmiths trades.

Rob

My friend never got rid of this mill and he's back to cleaning out his basement again.
Anybody want to rescue it?

It is almost like a Hendey Norton. There must be many people here, would buy it at reasonable price.
I'm sort of packed full and it too far away

It was hard to tell if it has an universal table. It seems it should have. That would increase it's value, so maybe check that and the gears.

Back