What's new
What's new

Oil volume in Cincinnati 16 inch shaper

I've read the old posts on changing the oil on these old cincy shapers. The placement of drain holes is not consistent and unfortunately, my machine has no drain for the lower reservoir so getting the oil out is a bit annoying. So far i'm at about 9 gallons and am just about ready to open up the sight glass on the lowest reservoir. The oil was very clean and with the exception of the opportunity to clean the chips out of the low points, i'm questioning the wisdom of changing the oil. I'm too far into it to turn back now so in a perversion of logic, i kind of hope i find some gunk in the sumps so my work and the cost of new oil isn't a complete waste. If nothing else, i'll have learned a bit about the machine innerds. Given the hobby nature of my enterprise, I'll probably never need to change the oil again on this thing so i may as well start from a known point.

At least your finding a positive out of a pain. Call me when you get it running im curios of Depth of cut and step over it will handle.

Back