What's new
What's new

Sloan & Chace Lathe

sloan

Plastic
Hello,
I am in the process of restoring a Sloan & Chace lathe to functionality. Does anyone know when the company operated? I read the factastic information on the Lathes.uk site but, I didn't see any dates for the company. Is there a source for parts (collets, milling attachment, ect.)that may exist?
Thanks,
Steve

In business from 1875 on (don't know when they closed).
No source of parts that I know of, other than lucky finds. I have a collet draw bar that I think may be for a Sloan and Chace- see this post.

Good luck,
Andy

Good Day,

I too am restoring a Sloane and Chace lathe (5 1/2) that I obtained in its mostly dis-assembled state. I have not been lucky at finding any other sites or sources for info (except Lathes.UK, a wonderful place). I will post on any info I do find. I have a woodcut style image from an old magazine and that's about it. I can also post or eMail images of my lathe, and accessories as I find them. It may be in pieces, but I am told the set-up was rather complete. Good luck on the restore. Now time to grease up the elbows . . . Cheers - Greg

Sloan and Chace got its start in newark. I
suspect they were defunct by the 1930s.

Dave Sobel would have a good idea of when they
started and stopped business.

I had a lovely horizontal milling machine made
by them, but no collets. I was down at sobels
many years ago and mentioned that, he said wow
you are sure in luck. I have some of the last
few in existence right here.

He may have been pulling my leg of course.

I did buy what he had, and before anyone asks,
they were all went along with when I sold that
machine. Which I should really not have done...

Jim

The Hardinge collet catalog says S&C used Hardinge 5SC and 52SC collets. Not that thats a lot of help. I am sure that Hardinge will makem for you $$...

5SC
Body dia .600
Thread .500-26 rh
OAL 2.7/16

52SC
Body dia .800
Thread .795-20 rh
OAL 3 11/16

The American Precision Museum had quite a bit of infomation in it's library on the Sloan and Chase factory. You might contact them .

markus

I did see a mention of 1930 in a Rutgers library entry (they have a catalog in their collection), and something dated 1929 about some court matter from the old NY Times clippings. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the PDM of that to open at the time and now I can't find it again.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the info everyone.
Hardinge can make them for, if I remember correctly, a few hundred $ each...wow.

gnorrie, it would be great if you can post images of your lathe when you get a chance. I will do the same when it is presentable, which should be soon.

I did find a few early advertisement photos for the 5 1/2 and some of the machinery used in the watch manufacturing industry (interesting, as I am a watchmaker). It appears from one ad in 1905 that this lathe as well as the other machines in the ad won the "Grand Prize for precission machinery" in the St. Louis Worlds Fair. (I'd sure like to find the automatic gear cutter and the bench milling machine in the same ad).

Have a Great New Year

Sloan & Chace collets

Sloan
I have 25 #5 S&C collets , a closer , and a shop built steady rest . Send me a P.M. if interested .
thanks
Rick

Seneca Falls and Sloan And Chase

I have a Seneca Falls Star 11" that came with a Sloan and Chase , according to measuremnts, [.800 body, .795 thread and 3 11/16ths length ] 52SC collet and drawbar set. has taken me quite awhile to determine who had made them and now I find that Harding would be willing to make more if i wanted to go broke! :rolleyes:. I dont have a full set and they have some rust but seem to work great and also have milling and end mill holders with the same taper that also fit the Sloan and Chase spindle adapter, go figure.

I almost fell over when Hardinge gave me a price on the SC collets.

I did run my Sloan and Chace this weekend (first time since I cleaned it). I was really impressed with how little vibration there was. I need to adjust the cross slide a bit more though.

Back