What's new
What's new

Old monarch lathe ID

pressbrake1

Stainless
Hello seen this old gal for sale languishing in a fabrication workshop.
I assume early 40's marshall aid era.
Can anyone give any info from the bad pics
Regards pb
Screenshot_2018-04-22-22-40-36.jpgScreenshot_2018-04-22-22-40-45.jpgScreenshot_2018-04-22-22-40-53.jpgScreenshot_2018-04-22-22-41-01.jpg

Possibly a CW which was a 16" / 18 1/2 actual swing made in thirties and forties

The reason I say that is that I can make out the feed/threading reverse lever on head stock, meaning it isn't one of the lead screw reverse models such as CY

Thumbnails are brochure scans

Attachments

• scan 01.jpg
    scan 01.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Scan 02.jpg
    Scan 02.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 120
  • scan 03.jpg
    scan 03.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 105
thanks John. It looks like it was a fine machine once or maybe still is. Being a fairly long bed with taper turning makes it a rare beast over here nowadays so I ll try and have a deal on it.

Going off John's photos that's a very nice looking lathe. Get it away form all that junk, clean it up and you may have a bargain there. Most of the US lathes I've seen over the years in the UK, and I've seen a good few, were from the " Lend - Lease " era. I remember seeing one exactly like that one in a used machine tool dealers in Haringay thirty years ago. Very well made lathe.

Regards Tyrone.

The gentleman I purchased it from had lots of other cool stuff20180508_111726.jpg20180508_094553.jpg

My phone pictures are not worth posting but there was half a dozen traction engines a steam wagon old cars bikes machines etc etc

I almost forgot about the lathe

Thumbnail may find you the data tag with serial, and if not, its right end on top, stamped into machined cast iron in between front vee way and flat way

I'd guess larger of the breed than mine - looks like D1-8" spindle nose - if so, heavier than discussed above

ON EDIT - add thumbnail to show you what the data tag will look like, though their installed location varies. This one is one of very few that got installed cost filled in. $7128.00 would buy you a very nice residence in August of 1937

Attachments

• UK Monarch.jpg
    UK Monarch.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 24N Monarch c.jpg
    24N Monarch c.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 104
Not sure about the WAA other than the scanned brochure above is on the W - omitting the obvious C, I guess which everyone understood was the basic design. 7774 is early '41, so a tad bit before Lend Lease I'm thinking. The 487 top end is very common and can be upped at least some with a larger motor pulley and new belts - assuming the bearings are getting oil. I did not trust the flow sight, and took off the lines leading to the spindle bearings to see if oil was actually getting to them. This usually involves an oil shower bath but not too bad if you run it slow.

Thumbnails show impressive innards with massive dog clutches instead of moving gears

Attachments

• DCP_0829.jpg
    DCP_0829.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 76
  • DCP_0830.jpg
    DCP_0830.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 109
Re Lend Lease ;- from March '41 to August '45 .so Pressbrakes Monarch could have been on one of the first boats. (Ref Lend-Lease - Wikipedia)

An old guy I knew (alas no longer with us) got a brand new big Monarch as a ''Christmas Present'' at the British United Shoe Machine Co in Leicester, in 'm sure he told me I'm working from memory here;) 1941, as it was just after Pearl Harbour, ...........he told me they'd never had lathes of the power, rigidity and accuracy like it and had a 3/4'' sq butt welded HSS, the shank of which had been bent down at 45 deg to prove it, .......he was tearing in to a big steel forging, (for armaments) and thought the lathe could take more.

So being on piece work he wound on more cut and feed, ............the lathe took it, but the tool didn't, ......he swore that Monarch shrugged it off as if to say ''is that the best you can do?''

I am curious as to why its a fully metric machine? Result for me as its now useful for more than just oil patch and geo work(all inch threads)
It seems to have suffered more from dirt than actual work wear.
Old boy I bought it off is replacing it with a holbrook, now that makes the monarch look light duty!
Funny thing is when I told him , and hes a staunch yorkshire separatist that the holbrook was made in London he was less than impressed, he should have bought a dsg;)

I am curious as to why its a fully metric machine? Result for me as its now useful for more than just oil patch and geo work(all inch threads)
It seems to have suffered more from dirt than actual work wear.
Old boy I bought it off is replacing it with a holbrook, now that makes the monarch look light duty!
Funny thing is when I told him , and hes a staunch yorkshire separatist that the holbrook was made in London he was less than impressed, he should have bought a dsg;)

You know the old saying - " You can always tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much "

Regards Tyrone.

Yes,it's the muck what does the damage. Nice you got it and the price was right. Wasn't there some sort of traffic between Sidney and Monarch,being close by each other? I've heard Sidney-Monarch quoted before but it might be erroneous.

Back