What's new
What's new

Old Surface Grinder ID Question

jdayton

Plastic
Hi everyone! This is my first post so hopefully it's ok to ask an identification question. :)

I found a surface grinder in an older gentleman's garage and was wondering if anyone had seen anything like it before. The owner actually owns a metal supply and grinding business and though more well-versed with larger machines, had never seen another one.

The machine was made in RI, and is very heavy (bottom of base ~16"x20"). The magnetic chuck was ~5"x10" and looked so be about the largest size the machine could accommodate. The manufacturer is cast into the table, but was very hard to read and unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of it. It looked like it started with a B, but its not a B&S. The x-axis has a lever slide (you can see the lever extending off of the RHS of the image), and y-axis a screw. Coarse adjustment of wheel height was from the top wheel and fine adjustment from the smaller vertical wheel and locking of height was provided by the horizontal hand wheel behind the grinding disc.It has a 120V Dayton motor on it (neglected to get the HP) and belt drive.

James

01313_NupQvoRUil_1200x900.jpg

It is a Builders Iron Foundry grinder. I have photos of several models.
Thanks! Found some addition pictures and info on Google.

Did you buy it? Is it for sale? Where in CT?
It is for sale but I didn't buy it; not quite what I'm looking for at this point. It's located in Mansfield (eastern CT near UConn). Pretty sure the mag chuck is worth the asking price. Here's the link if you're interested.

Surface Grinder - tools - by owner - sale

Back