What's new
What's new

OT- Can anyone identify this old battery?

Trboatworks

Diamond
I was grading the yard by an old shed with a repair well so used to work on cars.
1910 vintage house.

About a foot down I found these batteries:

IMG_0811.jpg IMG_0812.jpg
IMG_0813.jpg
IMG_0814.jpg

What is the story here- the cells seem to have been cased together and sealed with tar, no lead anywhere..
That last photo seems to be part of case which is clay?

A early car battery?

Thanks all

No SIZE clues, but millions of telephones had batteries at one time, both wet cells and later dry cells

Two big dry cells in bottom of this one

Attachments

• DCP_0278.JPG
    DCP_0278.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 199
  • DCP_0279.JPG
    DCP_0279.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 159
Oh right- I thought the glove and shovel would do it- the cells are ~1.5" diameter and 4" long and the cased set was 5"x5"x10" or so..
My dad was working at a wet cell rebuilding shop in the 20's so they must have been around for cars- these are dry cells it appears.

I was grading the yard by an old shed with a repair well so used to work on cars.
1910 vintage house.

About a foot down I found these batteries:

View attachment 197163 View attachment 197164
View attachment 197165
View attachment 197166

What is the story here- the cells seem to have been cased together and sealed with tar, no lead anywhere..
That last photo seems to be part of case which is clay?

A early car battery?

Thanks all

Too old for auto or early radio. Too costly for casual application.

If not far from the water where you are, I'd suspect navigation beacon or emergency search or signaling power.

More likely yet may have been portable telegraph - War Department, Civil War era, perhaps. Railways were pretty solid fixed-gear AFAIK.

Not sure what early-early telegraph used. Later-on, TTY era, it was 130 VDC in 60 ma polar current-loop or 20 ma bipolar, but by then better repeater relays were taking up the work.

Same era plus a few years saw the first central-office burglar alarms for banks & c.

"McCulloch Loop" with a power-wound clockspring code wheel so it worked even if utility line was cut. Basically a telegraph version of a recorded message that ID'ed the location, and whether arming/disarming, or break-in.

Still in use into the '70's AS alarms, even later used as a cheat to get DS1/T1 data circuits into service where 'BA' was still in the tariff, DS1/T1 was not.

The is the D.C. house Bill- I could have been more careful if they might have been 19 cent- I just dug a deeper hole and shoveled the whole mess in.
Just a curious battery construction.

The plot deepens- they were under ancient brick floor surrounded by a old small foundation wall- about 6'x6'
Seems like a small alcove off shed.
Radio shack..

The is the D.C. house Bill- I could have been more careful if they might have been 19 cent- I just dug a deeper hole and shoveled the whole mess in.
Just a curious battery construction.

The plot deepens- they were under ancient brick floor surrounded by a old small foundation wall- about 6'x6'

Wonder HOW 'ancient'. And what life that dwelling or its forebears led?

Carbon microphone was used for a long time before hollow-state amplifiers existed. Higher voltage stack of batteries, as-in 90 V and more, plus bigger can of carbon granules was the primary means of going louder.

Built right in to homes of the wealthy deef before a former trial lawyer - E.A. Myers - tired of it and brought one of the KDKA founding Engineers in as Son-in-Law to do better just after War One.

"Not sure what early-early telegraph used. "

Copper zinc cells in glass.

The zinc electrode shaped like a thick crow foot, clamps on the side of the
glass jar. Copper sulfate solution for the electrolyte, and a copper wire
for the other electrode.

The Zn goes away, the copper wire plates up.

Standard telegraph battery.

Looks like #6 telephone or ignition cells... 1.5volt carbon zinc, about 2.5" Dia x 6" high.
That's what I was thinking. You can still get replacements, made in China, with some smaller modern battery stashed inside. We used them, when I was a kid to start glo plug model airplane engines, until I got one of those war surplus 2 volt lead acids on the clear case with the built in hydrometer with three balls.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Based on the large number of cells in the deteriorated case, I believe these are early radio "B" batteries for a vacuum tube radio. That would date then to after 1918 up until maybe the 1950's.

The "B" voltage is the supply for the "plates" {anodes] of vacuum tubes.
(A=filament [heater] supply, "C"= grid bias supply)

A "B" battery might be 45, 72.5, or 90 VDC. Each made up of multiple small 1.5V zinc-carbon cells.

Each of the voltages was available in multiple sizes, which would give different peak currents an milliAmpere-Hour ratings.

I haven't seen one of those in workable condition since I was a teenager in the 1960's, and they were obsolete then.

The first shortwave radio I ever built (circa 1968) was a single-tube regenerative circuit with a 3A4 tube. I was able to find a 45V. "B" battery at an old radio shop. The 3V. "A" supply was two D-sized flashlight cells. It was a very sensitive radio, but lacked selectivity.

John R.

Last edited:
When my family visited my grandfather, probably sometime around 1938 to maybe 1943, I remember him listening to a radio which was powered by a battery that was probabl6 about the size of what you found. He had a rented farm way out in the sticks before REA brought power in.

Jim

When my family visited my grandfather, probably sometime around 1938 to maybe 1943, I remember him listening to a radio which was powered by a battery that was probabl6 about the size of what you found. He had a rented farm way out in the sticks before REA brought power in.

Jim

They normally took 3 to 5 batteries, not just the one.

G'Dads was an Atwater-Kent in a large and lovely veneered wood case. I only remember him 'investing' in batteries and powering-it up but the one time in my youth. Probably to listen to the Stevenson-Eisenhower election results, as he was a life-long Democrat, but had never been overly fond of Roosevelt, and even less of Truman.

It was kept-on as a nice bit of furniture long after we finally got mains electricity in 1953. Batteries cells by that time didn't look any different than an array of 'peeled' D-cells for the lower-voltage high-current filament heaters. Higher voltage, lower-current grid units resembled the stacked guts of our present-day 9-volters. The plate power battery was off-limits for kids of my then-age to mess with.

I had an older cousin who got into some of the damndest situations with those, though!

:)

HS friend of Dad's with a similar sense of humour was bored running the family Texaco Station. Put a speaker under the top-plate of their two-holer Lady's privy, big-old carbon microphone in the shack.

Spirit moved him, and a women would go into the privy, he'd wait just a minute or so, key the mic, cough, say,

"Uhh M'am? Would you mind using the other hole? We're trying to work down here!"

It's smart that you just dug a little deeper hole for them and left them there. They say that's the smartest thing you can ever do, too, if you're working and dig up some old indian stuff or bones of any sort.

That's not nice.

Boy am I glad I did not have a mouth full of coffee when I read that one.

Lot of things weren't 'nice' before TV. Mind - many have gotten WORSE, since.

That cousin?

Betting a little kid he could not pee accurately enough to hit a length of #10 galvanized iron wire seemed harmless.

I just HAD to go and prove him wrong and 'win' that bet to find out...

.. that it was part of a seriously well-implemented electric cattle fence !!!

:(

OTOH? The life-long cynical caution that ensued may have saved my ass more than once from far worse - 'nam, highways, back-alleys, bars, brothels, or Day Job business world included.

The first shortwave radio I ever built (circa 1968) was a single-tube regenerative circuit with a 3A4 tube. I was able to find a 45V. "B" battery at an old radio shop. The 3V. "A" supply was two D-sized flashlight cells. It was a very sensitive radio, but lacked selectivity.
John R.

Pound per pound those regen sets actually have pretty good selectivity if set up right. Possibly yours was patterned after the
"Boys First Book of Radio" by Alfred Morgan.

One of the highest performing regen sets was built by national, the SW-3. Basically a single stage of regen with an tuned rf
amp in front of it - and a single stage of audio:

jrr_SW3_2.JPG

Older radios used tubes with either 1 amp or 1/4 amp filaments, and those were lit with 6 volt car batteries. The
above mentioned atwater kent set was like that, in addition to the B batteries - which probably are what started this
thread in the first place, as others have commented.

Looks like a battery pack off of 1 of the road side blinking yellow lights that was on an old saw horse along side the road.That replaced them old round bomb like burning pots.old time CAUTION LITE?

Looks like a battery pack off of 1 of the road side blinking yellow lights that was on an old saw horse along side the road.That replaced them old round bomb like burning pots.old time CAUTION LITE?

Doubt that. 'Smoke pots' were still widely used into the 1960's, even beyond.

The blinkinlights phased-in with modern batteries from the get-go.

Railroad signaling, BTW used Edison Nickel-Iron-Caustic batteries.

I'm happy to go along with the radio battery theory, though the cells are a bit bigger than the ones I remember (that may be a UK-US difference). In the fifties we used to dismantle old ones when we could get them, to find any cells with enough life left to 'do things with'.

George

The cells would have been in a cardboard box filled with tar. You wouldn't have found any leads as there were just contacts. From the size of the individual cells it looks like an RCA 67.5v 'B' battery.

Back