What's new
What's new

OT/German motorcycle id

maynah

Stainless
I am going through some old family pictures and found this. I know we have a few die hard German motorcycle fans here. I zoomed in to check detail and was surprised to see the motorcycle's modern, sleek, low styling. They almost look like a modern artists rendering. What can you tell me about them?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 393
About 1938 Zundapp opposed twin. Shaft drive. A lot of their look is due to their use of a pressed steel frame rather than brazed tube and lug like most others, sort of gives it that exo skeleton look.

I had to google the Zundapp, but thats what it looks like to me.

Wow, I looked at your links Sami, and it is close, but the BMWs headlight looks like it sits higher.

maybe, but they can be bent or easily altered for military service etc etc ........... look at the fork shape and angle, ditto the frame, ..............and there is no way on this earth that is an opposed flat twin not with the exhaust high and coming through the front down tubes. ...........The shape and position of the silencer (muffler) etc etc etc

...I think Sami got it...BMW R4...the generator on the front left side of the engine is in the same place on both photos...

194632d1490398405-ot-german-motorcycle-id-img_1895.jpg

1936%20R4%20Dunn.JPG

...it's possible both BMW and Zundapp were building them to a German military specification...obviously the engine isn't BMW's signature horizontal twin...if they were coming off identical blueprints at the two different factories...I'd have to guess they would be darn near identical...

ZundappKS250-RiderWithPreWarUniform.jpg

...it's possible both BMW and Zundapp were building them to a German military specification...obviously the engine isn't BMW's signature horizontal twin...if they were coming off identical blueprints at the two different factories...I'd have to guess they would be darn near identical...

ZundappKS250-RiderWithPreWarUniform.jpg

I think you've got it there Lathefan, and I got it ''partly wrong'' ;) .........., now was the BMW a Zundapp design? OR was the Zundapp a BMW design?

...this German seems to be riding a Triumph...(he looks familiar too)... ;-)

great-escape.jpg

Yeah, right, with teleforks and swinging arm rear suspension on WWII motorbike? ...........though to be fair, even the great Bud (I think) Ekins wouldn't have done that jump on a girder forked hardtail :)

Back