What's new
What's new

OT? - Line shaft driven cider press

duckfarmer27

Stainless
Took some apples to the local cider press today - product safely in the freezer.

While watching / helping with the process I remarked to my nephew that this is probably the last line shaft driven commercial application in the area. Same family has owned the place for well over 100 years. Power is by a 1938 tractor, which via the line shaft powers a two stage hydraulic pump. Also runs the chopper and conveyor system. Load the press, put the pump on line - when your reach 2,000 psi that batch is done.

I only took a picture of the data plate. But it goes to show that some old machinery just keeps going and going - as long as it is taken care of.

And yes, the cider is good.

Dale

Cider Press Plate.jpg

Dale:

In the thread posted by Magnetic Anomaly about his Dillon dynamometer, I described a friend's family cider mill. This is an original Boomer & Boschert cider mill dating to around 1895-1900. Boomer & Boschert were perhaps the biggest builders of cider mill machinery and were located in Syracuse, NY. B & B offered screw and hydraulic cider presses along with powered apple grating machines, conveyors, shaker/washers, transfer pumps for the cider and a lot of the supplies such as frames, copper nails for the frames used to hold the cloths, cloth for putting the grated apples in, along with cider filters, valves, fittings, and more. I am surprised a cider mill in your neck of the woods of NY State would have been built by a firm clear out in Ohio.

The B & B mill my friend has is quite interesting. It is in its own building and is lineshaft driven. Original power was a steam engine, which was replaced in the 'teens or '20's with a large once cylinder Fairbanks Morse gasoline engine. This engine sits in its own building wing, mounted in a pit, and has an underground muffler (gravel filled tank). The press consists of two large square-thread screws which are geared to turn together, one on either side of the press. These screws have travelling nuts which work a toggle-type mechanism, much like the kind of axle jacks some light cars come with. There are three separate clutches for the driving of the press screws: rapid-down, slow-down, rapid-up. The header beams at the top and bottom of the press frame are of large cross-section and are hardwood. The top header beam has a simple mechanical strain gauge with a wood pointer. As the press squeezes down on the stack of press frames and pomace (grated apples)- known as a "cheese" to cider makers- the header beam wants to deflect upwards. The mechanical strain gauge- which is a simple linkage to multiply the deflection- is watched by the press operator. The pointer reaches a mark which approximately 50 tons of deflection of the header produces. At that point the pressing is stopped.

The matter of using a mechanical strain gauge- with a simple mechanism made of wood- is ingenious. There are a number of conveyors for the apples and the pressed-out pulp, all driven off the lineshafting.

Boomer & Boschert's old catalog is accessible online, and it makes for interesting reading. B & B was making cider mill machinery into the early 1950's. They made machinery not only for cider mills, but for wineries, and sold their presses to cheese makers as well.

The old cider mills were built to use a minimum of labor and get quite a high rate of production. Once the apples are grated, things have to happen quickly. My friend says that some years- without trying- they make 10,000 gallons of cider. This is not a commercial enterprise anymore. The department of health has cracked down on cider mills, requiring the cider to be pasteurized or disinfected using ultraviolet light, or the addition of some chemical disinfectant to the cider. The result is many small on-the-farm cider mills went out of business. My friend and his family simply press apples for other friends who bring truckloads of them. No cider is sold.

Of course, some of the cider made in that mill winds up as hard cider, and some also winds up as "applejack". Some hard cider is distilled in home stills, and produces a kind of apple brandy. Again, just done amongst families and friends with no sale to the public.

Any of the old cider mills were quite an experience to visit. The mill building was laid out to allow continuous production. In full swing, the lineshafting was going, and the racket of the old "ladder chain" type of conveyors and sounds of open spur gearing working the press, along with the sounds of the belting all made for quite a concert.

The new cider mills are nothing more than modern processing plants. Stainless steel, and modern food processing machinery. The cider they produce is nothing more than "apple juice", finely filtered, pasteurized, and sometimes containing chemicals to increase shelf life. No fun at all.

... Original power was a steam engine, which was replaced in the 'teens or '20's with a large once cylinder Fairbanks Morse gasoline engine. This engine sits in its own building wing, mounted in a pit, and has an underground muffler (gravel filled tank).

Joe,

Not to hijack the thread (my only experience of cider mills is drinking the produce) but your reference to this style of muffler (silencer in England) confirms something my late father told me decades ago. His father used to install and maintain all sorts of engines locally, and Dad said that some discharged the exhaust into a pit full of stones. I've never heard of such a thing otherwise. Does the pit have a cover and output pipe, or do the exhaust fumes just go straight to atmosphere?

George

Joe in NH:

I helped John Bucklin ( a grandson, or grandson-in-law) to B.F. Clyde with the installation of their Ames steam engine back in 1973 or '74. Clyde's Cider Mill is a Boomer and Boschert Mill. It uses a double-screw press of the heavier design offered by B & B. No toggle action is used- direct acting larger press screws.

In 1973 or 74, Bucklin and his family had decided to convert their cider mill back to steam power. At that point in time, they were using a Model T Ford engine and transmission as a "power unit". This had been installed circa 1914 to replace the original steam engine. Bucklin found an Ames center crank steam engine, perhaps 6" x 8", in an old steam laundry in Rhode Island. He removed that engine and brought it to their cider mill. They obtained a vertical firetube boiler from a defunct creamery, along with a Worthington duplex steam feed pump. The steam plant was put in place, and I helped Bucklin change the direction of rotation of the engine to suit the direction the lineshaft had to turn. I also gave him a relief valve for the feed pump to avoid accidentally "dead heading" the pump.

John Bucklin told me a good deal about the mill and its operation. The mill was built by Boomer & Boschert, and the press frame seemed to be integral with the post-and-beam framing of the mill building as I recall. The mill was originally steam powered, but in 1914 or thereabouts, the people who were then running the mill installed the Model T Ford power unit. This consisted of a Model T engine and transmission, complete with foot pedals for shifting, mounted on a wood skid frame.

Bucklin told me that in the 1950's, he had made a trip to Boomer & Boschert's plant in Syracuse, NY. At that time, he knew B & B was not long for this world. Bucklin wanted to purchase a cider transfer pump from B & B. This was basically a plunger type pump with a crank disc and connecting rod to work the piston. Intake and Discharge valves were nothing more than common screwed bronze swing check valves. As Bucklin told it, B & B did not have a transfer pump in stock, but they did have castings. He watched the oldtimers machine the castings in a lineshaft driven machine shop, and the purchasing agent went up the street to a supply house and got the check valves and pipe nipples. Bucklin also bought all remaining stocks of the copper nails used to nail together the wooden frames used to hold the pomace (grated apple pulp) for pressing. He bought a barrel of copper nails.

Once the steam engine and boiler were installed, Bucklin piped them up using screwed black steel pipe. The Ames engine was in good running condition, and did not need much other than a cleaning. Instead of firing the boiler on coal or wood, Bucklin installed a home oil burner gun and fired it on number 2 fuel oil, with a pressure switch to cut the burner in and out, and a low water cutoff (float) switch. This reduced the amount of labor needed to run the steam plant, as cider making sometimes took everyone on hand.

As the mill was set up, there was a place where trucks backed up and dumped their loads or apples (or the apples were shovelled off or dumped out of bushel baskets). This was a bin which was sloped to feed a conveyor. The conveyor took the apples to the second story of the mill. There, the apples passed along a kind of shaker screen which moved them along and under jets of water to wash the apples. Once washed, the apples went into a bin with a hopper bottom to feed the grater- also lineshaft driven. The grater could be clutched in and out as needed, and discharged into a chute, which dumped onto the press table. The press table was on a swivel, so one side was under the press while a "cheese"- or stack of frames and cloths with the pomace- was being "built", or was being taken apart following pressing.

In full swing, the mill is quite a sight to see. Boomer and Boschert designed the cider mills for real production.

The Fly Creek, NY cider mill is also a Boomer and Boschert mill, and (I believe) uses a John Deere two cylinder (aka "Johnny Popper") power unit to drive the mill.

The "underground" silencers were quite interesting. I first encountered them at an old diesel powerplant out in Missouri in the late 70's. Those silencers were used for some Fairbanks-Morse two-cycle diesel engines producing grid power. As it was explained to me by an old shift operator, the silencers were made by forming and pouring reinforced concrete "boxes". These boxes were rectangular in shape and had pipe sleeves imbedded in the concrete at the inlet and discharge ends. I believe the inlet pipe may have extended into the box and was a perforated steel pipe. The boxes were filled with crushed stone, and a removable slab cover was placed on the box. The discharge or exhaust stack was connected with an elbow to the pipe sleeve in the box, and the stack went up above the roof elevation of the plant. The boxes were buried in the ground. The reason for the removable cover slab was to allow cleaning of the "muffling media"- the gravel would get loaded with carbon soot and oil.

The underground/gravel mufflers were quite effective, and would likely qualify as "super critical silencers". The underground gravel mufflers were quite common in the 'teens and 'twenties for stationary engines. Properly sized, a gravel muffler likely did not have too much back pressure for the silencing it provided.

At the cider mill using the F-M gasoline engine, the muffler is something similar. No one is entirely sure what exactly they have for a muffler as it was put in place over 90 years ago. The belief is the muffler is some kind of containment filled with gravel, and the exhaust stack comes up above grade and extends to some height.
Similarly, the gasoline tank for the F-M engine is also buried. No one knows the exact size of the tank, but they put gasoline in it and the engine's fuel pump picks it up. The engine is probably 20 HP or thereabouts. It sits in a concrete pit in a part of the cider mill/sawmill building that is a single-story appendage, like a milk house on a dairy barn. The F-M engine has a large flywheel, and it is started by stomping down on the flywheel spokes since the engine is in a pit below floor elevation.

Dale:

I am surprised a cider mill in your neck of the woods of NY State would have been built by a firm clear out in Ohio.

Maybe a good salesman? My wife and I own a single cylinder model and a double cylinder pump model is about 15 miles down the road.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I love about this site - throw out some odd ball mechanical application and there are people here who know all about it - even helped build them!

Joe -

Like you I'm kind of stumped as to why an Ohio setup here, but who knows. If Mount Gilead had been on the Erie RR main line it would have raised the probability, but that is not the case. You are right - have to actually watch an operation like this to get a true appreciation. And as per Mac's comment, the new sterile stainless steel ones will not last like these.

Owner was not there but his son was saying at the end of the season they are going to have to rebuild the seals and shaft on the high pressure side of the pump - starting to leak quite a bit. His comment was that the wear was not uniform and surprised him as to the taper that developed. Said his Dad had a shaft all ready. If the boss had been there I would have asked if he cared if I took a couple more pictures for this board. But don't want to do that without asking first - you know how all us rural folks are, did not want to get accused of being a 'city' idiot.

As I was watching the layup of the pomace in the frames I had to chuckle. Spent about 15 years of my professional life in the multi layer board business. Laying up to make cider is not a lot different then putting up layers to build boards - platens and all, etc. But a lot less tooling to keep apples in place than epoxy pre-preg, layers and so on. Trouble is the heat in a laminating press would sure spoil (and boil) the cider!

As you commented these days they have a UV setup. Which is actually better in my opinion. I hate to waste good apples that happen to be drops. And our orchard has about every critter known wandering through it on a nightly basis! We made 45 gallons. My brother is going to try some blueberries in the hard cider this year. Should be interesting to see how that comes out.

Next year, if I can remember in time, will have to get a time on the Columbus Day holiday for the kids. That way the grandkids can pick the apples and then take them to the mill and help make the cider. I'm afraid their grandkids won't get that chance - but who knows.

esbutler -

Nope, not Fly Creek. I'm right on the PA border, South and West of there. This press is actually in PA, Keystone Cider - and no web site, just a 'Century Farm' sign. They make it commercial and have a sales setup. Also do custom pressing - just have to see them to get a time slot. Think it was $1.25 a gallon to press, plus the cost of the jug if you don't have your own.

Very enterprising family and location. In 1900 they had an amusement park there, complete with roller coaster. Had their own stop on the street car line that linked our 4 little towns. Still have the roller rink that is open Friday nights and Saturday afternoons during the cold months. Heating is still with coal. Just part of the local color and flavor.

Dale

Dale:

I am surprised a cider mill in your neck of the woods of NY State would have been built by a firm clear out in Ohio.

Maybe a good salesman? My wife and I own a single cylinder model and a double cylinder pump model is about 15 miles down the road.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locodad -

Since you don't have a location listed I have to ask - you in Ohio? Just curious.

Dale

I bought fresh cider from Hartman's cider mill for many years. Burned into my memory is the 1965 batch. Back then, Hartman got empty glass gallon jugs from the local Coca Cola bottling plant. I brought home a jug and put it in our new refrigerator in our new house. My dad then had a stroke and was in the hospital, so the cider was not used quickly. It fermented in the fridge and exploded, making a huge mess, even wrecking the plastic liner with glass shrapnel. Homeowner insurance paid for repairing the fridge.

In the last 10-15 years, the Hartman cider press went unused and they only sold produce and apples. But last year, the building was sold and refurbished and the press put in order. The new owners are only making hard cider and selling it on draft in the mill building three days a week. SWMBO says we should try a glass, since it is only a mile or two from our current home. I will have to check out the press and maybe get some pictures if I can get close enough. I watched it being run about 50 years ago, and think it had an electric motor and flat belts back then.

About Kekionga Cider Company - Kekionga Cider Company The picture seems to show it still has the electric motor and flat belts.

Last week, we went to a big 1812 battle reenactment camp and had a glass of really fresh cider that was hand pressed on the spot with a small antique press. They warned that they could not let children under 9 have any because it was not pasteurized. Probably had bug parts, but it did taste good.

Larry

Not to hijack the thread (my only experience of cider mills is drinking the produce) but your reference to this style of muffler (silencer in England) confirms something my late father told me decades ago. His father used to install and maintain all sorts of engines locally, and Dad said that some discharged the exhaust into a pit full of stones. I've never heard of such a thing otherwise. Does the pit have a cover and output pipe, or do the exhaust fumes just go straight to atmosphere?George

I had a FOOS 4 cylinder Diesel engine that had that type of muffler. It was a cast iron pot that would hold about 100 gallons. It was full of stone sized from your fist to bowling ball size. The pipe went in tangentially to the dia at the bottom of the tank. the discharge was in the center of one end. It must have worked quite well because the engine was installed in a residential neighborhood. It ran there for about 30 years.

Back