What's new
What's new

OT: Vintage kitchen mixer converted to machine tool

mixdenny

Cast Iron
As a long time collector of vintage electric kitchen mixers (130 examples and counting!), I keep an eye out for interesting mixers. I came across some photos of a well made conversion I saw about 9 years ago.

The Neupert Corp made a series of small, inexpensive electric mixers. We sometimes refer to their mechanisms: like the flipper, the roller, and the grasshopper.

This Junior Power Chef (roller) was nicely converted into an engine turning tool utilizing an old style belt drive. It has a sensitive lever for raising the work into the polishing spindle. For comparison I include a photo of an original mixer.

I have seen numerous conversions of old mixers, usually for something simple like a drill, polisher, or paint mixer, but no others this nice.

Dennisneupert-machine1.jpgneupertjuniorchef.jpg

Is that a cork for the tool in it? Back in the day someone might have made a bunch o' bucks with that thing.

Last edited:
I've seen some of the Amish air powered appliances as well but not a kitchen mixer. I suppose I could have used an existing product to get me halfway, (less the boiler) there. The boiler I built for this is more complicated than it appears. It has a cavity in the middle from which a "waterbox" is suspended by a dozen small water tubes. the heat passes by this apparatus and up the central flue. I've yet to fit it with valves, glass gauge, safety valve, etc. but have pressure tested it. It's one of those situations whereas it can't be tested until complete and if it leaks, which the first one did, it is impossible to fix without blowing it apart, which I did...

The engine runs quite nicely on externally supplied steam. Achieves approximately 800 RPM but very low torque. probably not possible to mix cookie or thick batters but appropriate for meringues and whipped cream, especially if you like them with graphite oil for flavoring.

Back