What's new
What's new

Outreach for Volunteers - USS OLYMPIA (1895) Machine Shop!

KMSC6

Plastic
Hey all!

I'm a newcomer here, but I took notice that this forum has had quite a few posts regarding the USS OLYMPIA in Philadelphia. As the curator of this vessel, I'd like to reach out to all the machinists here to offer an opportunity to tour and volunteer for our 125-year old machine shop aboard. We at the Cruiser OLYMPIA are actively working toward further restoring these machines for use in creating new parts for our active engines and to coordinate programming and education surrounding machining.

All of our machines currently work to some capacity, but we could use some experienced hands in furthering the process. If you have any knowledge about older machinery, belt-driven especially, or if you are a machinist with interest in learning about the 'old ways', we'd gladly have you aboard!

If you're interested, let me know below or contact me at [email protected].

Below are some (poor) photos I took today of some of the machines we have.

Thank you!

-Kevin S.
Assistant Curator of Historic Ships
Cruiser OLYMPIA & Submarine BECUNA
Independence Seaport Museum

IMG_20180118_154626630.jpg

IMG_20180118_154601862.jpg

IMG_20180118_154642938.jpg

IMG_20180118_154552351.jpg

IMG_20180118_154616132.jpg

I don't typically go to Philly, but I sent the link to this article to a guy I work with in Groton up here at the Subbase. If you need any help with any of those machines, of course don't be afraid to ask.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Kevin,
I would be interested in helping you out. I am not very far from you in Plymouth Meeting. I have talked to Chris Simmons about getting there in the past but just have not found the time. Let me know when would be a good time to come by.
Bill Hazzard

Kevin,
I would be interested in helping you out. I am not very far from you in Plymouth Meeting. I have talked to Chris Simmons about getting there in the past but just have not found the time. Let me know when would be a good time to come by.
Bill Hazzard

Bill,

We'd be glad to have you any time you'd like to stop down - I work a Tuesday-Saturday work week. We're currently gathering all the specs and histories of the equipment before tuning it all up in preparation for actual use, and so we're trying to figure out the best speeds for operation of the lineshaft and for each countershaft. I'll probably be posting on this forum with questions.

Hope to see you soon!

Back