What's new
What's new

J. Stevens A & T Co. Calipers

Just when it was starting to look like there were no more good machinist's tools floating around Flea Markets at reasonable prices, I found the following three calipers at Collingwood [Note: NOT CollingSwood - that's a different place entirely!] for the handsome price of $1 each!

The large one is six inches tall, not including the spiffy finger grip and the smallest is 3-1/2 inches tall, ditto.

What sets these apart is that instead of the single pivot point, they have two pivot pins, one for each leg. Note that the finger grip is not just attached to the top of the spring; it goes through a hole in the spring and is attached to a disk which also had the pivot pin holes drilled in it.

The action is very smooth and they spread very widely compared to single-pivot calipers.

Another interesting and distinctive feature is that the sides of the spring are gracefully chamfered, something I've not seen on other calipers.

The markings are J. Stevens A & T Co, / Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A. on one leg, and Pat Oct 5 1897 on the other. The larger one must be older, as it merely says "Pat Apl'd For"

John Ruth

Attachments

• 2010_0923Calipers0031.jpg
    2010_0923Calipers0031.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 553
  • 2010_0923Calipers0032.jpg
    2010_0923Calipers0032.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 783
  • 2010_0923Calipers0033.jpg
    2010_0923Calipers0033.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 514
  • 2010_0923Calipers0034.jpg
    2010_0923Calipers0034.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:
John,

Nice find!!! They appear to be 3 different sizes of Fay's patent and called "Ideal Spring Calipers" in the Stevens catalogs - if I see the split nut correctly. The finger attachment is not that common and is sought after.

But, what tweaked my curiosity is that at the end of the adjusting screw, there is no little ball, which indicates they may be even earlier than the catalog "Ideal" description.

:cheers:

AntiqueMac,

They don't have the quick-adjusting split nuts; no quick-adjust feature.

The one that says "Pat Apl'd For" must be the oldest, as the others have the patent date.

In addition to omitting the ball end, the adjusting screws are also a bit longer than usual, probably because they wanted to give some spare length after the "full open" position so the user doesn't accidentally unscrew the adjuster!

These may be "Fay's Patent", but they are very different from what Starrett calls (called?) a "Fay Pattern" caliper. In the second photo you can see there are two pivot pins, one in each arm. A Starrett "Fay's" has the usual single pivot around a spool-shaped piece.

Contrasting the Stevens and Starrett Fay's, I take it that Fay patent covers the way the adjusting screw goes through one leg and is pivoted in a pocket on the other. That's the only common feature I can see between these Stevens items and a Starrett Fay's.

Was Fay an independent inventor, or was he in the employ of Stevens?

There's an interesting detail on the tops of the legs, which you can't see in the pictures because of the angle. The top of each leg has a semicircular recess to clear the shaft of the finger grip. When you open the calipers, these recesses close around the shaft of the finger grip. Must have been a PITA to manufacture.

For a buck each, without any major rust, I thought I did well ! (The photos are "as found" with just a swipe of Noxon metal polish to get the grime off.)

John Ruth

Last edited:
Great buy John!........ you did good. I am out wandering about these days and stopping by various antique malls as always in search of tools and I'm not even seeing things worth picking up to look at the price....... just plain junk.

USMCPOP:

Ah, there seem to be two volumes of the book 94 & 95 there in that Google Book, with two pages numbered 244. I can see the Starrett/Stevens pages in the search, but can't get them to come up full screen.

May I ask you to do a cut & paste of the decision? Or perhaps find a way to make a URL pointer that brings up the correct page?

Thanks

Rivett608:

These aren't absolutely pristine, but for a buck each I was not going to pass them up!

The only other tool find I've made lately is not a "fine" tool, but one which I believe my grandfather, an early (late 1800's - early 1900's) electrician would have used. It's a mold to turn bulk solder or lead into thin 12" long sticks. Would have been useful to an early plumber, too, I think.

The better stuff just isn't turning up at flea markets like it used to. Perhaps this is the "eBay effect". Perhaps it is because the estates of the last generation in which fine tools were in widespread use have already been liquidated & dispersed.

John Ruth

I was able to access the correct pages of the Google Book only by starting from scratch at books.google.com. Here's the text, which is Optically Character-Recognized (OCR'd) meaning that incorrectly-scanned words appear here and there. I'll make a comment below:

"STARRETT v. .7. STEVENS ARMS & TOOL CO.

SAME v. ATHOL MACH. CO. (Circuit Court, D. Massachusetts. July 29, 1S99.) Nos. 1,027 and 1,028. 1. Patents—Infringement Suits—Laches.

A delay of 10 years by a patent owner after knowledge of an alleged infringement, and correspondence with defendant, who In good faith contended for a construction of the patent avoiding infringement, held to be such laches as would bar all relief In equity.*

2. Same—Infringement—Spring Calipers And Divtders.

The Fay patent, No. 319,215, for spring calipers and dividers, construed as including, as one element of the combination, the fulcrum and socket joint shown in the drawings and described in the specifications, aud lteld not infringed.

i As to Inches as a defense in suits for infringement, see note to Taylor v. Spindle Co., 22 C. C. A. 211.

These were two suits in equity, brought by Laroy S. Starrett against the J. Stevens Anns & Tool Company and the Athol Machine Company for alleged infringement of a patent for spring calipers and dividers.

Edward S. Beach, for complainant.

George L. & Reuben L. Roberts, for defendants.

BROWN, District Judge. These suits are for infringement of letters patent No. 319,215, granted June 2, 1885, to Charles P. Fay, for spring calipers and dividers. Both claims are in controversy. They are as follows:

"(1) In a caliper or similar Implement, the combination of two legs having, respectively, a fulcrum and socket, as at 3, a curved spring embracing said legs, and an adjusting device for the legs, substantially as described. (2) In a caliper or similar Implement, the combination, with the notched legs having fulcrum and socket bearing, of the curved spring having notched ends resting in the notches in the legs, and with an adjusting-screw, substantially as described."

The original claims of the patentee were rejected by the patent office on the ground that they were anticipated by the patent to Hopkins, No. 110,657, dated January 3, 1871. After the rejection of the original claims, the patentee substituted the present claims, using the following language in his communication of the claims to the commissioner of patents:

"The device is quite different from the reference. The legs are not pivoted together, but have a fulcrum bearing on each other, and are held together by the spring. It is believed the present claims point out the differences."

The drawings of the patent in suit clearly show a special form of fulcrum bearing, described in the specification as "consisting of a curved laterally-projecting short arm, 3, on one leg, and a socket or recess in the other leg opposite said arm, adapted to receive the end of the latter." Upon removal of the spring that embraces the legs, the legs have no fast connection. The specification further says:

"The slotted form of the spring at Its ends, whereby the ends of the legs are engaged therewith, as above set forth, together with the screw-rod, c, conduces to hold the legs of the caliper in such a manner that they remain in the same plane as they would were they provided with the usual plvoted-Joint connection."

Upon such statements of the patentee, each claim of the patent in suit must be construed to include as an element of the combination claimed a fulcrum and socket joint such as is shown in the drawings and described in the specification. The prior patents to Hopkins, No. 110,657, January 3, 1871, and to Wright, No. 69,292, September 24, 1867, also require us to regard this special form of joint as essential to the "knock-down" features referred to by the patentee. The patent, thus construed, is not infringed by the defendants. The calipers manufactured by the defendants do not exhibit this form of fulcrum bearing. They are provided with riveted or closed joints, which securely hold the legs together without a spring, herein differing essentially from the calipers described in the patent, wherein the ■pring is necessary to hold the calipers together at the joint, and is essential to the operation of the calipers. The defendants' calipers without a spring are capable of some degree of practical use.

I am further of the opinion that in the case against the Athol Machine Company the complainant has been guilty of such laches as to debar him from all relief. It appears that early in 1888, and 10 years before the filing of the bill, the complainant was aware of the manufacture by the Athol Machine Company of the calipers now complained of, and that a correspondence ensued, in which was discussed the question now raised in this court as to the proper construction of the patent, the complainant at that time claiming that any style of joint, whether put together with a rivet or otherwise, could not be used with a detachable spring without infringement, and the complainant alleging that there was no infringement, saying of its structure:

"It is not possessed of what 1b generally termed 'knock-down* features, but its legs are jointed in an old and well-known way, and are securely riveted together. It has no such joint as is described either in the patent to Charles P. Fay, No. 319,215, of June 2. 18S5, or in the patent of James II. Billiard. No. 335,740, of February 9, 18S6."

From that time until the tiling of his bill, on May 25, 1898, nothing was done to pursue his claim against the Athol Machine Company, and no explanation or extenuation of this 10-years delay appears. There was manifest good faith in the claim of the defendant that it was not infringing the complainant's device, and it would operate as a great injustice at this late day to interfere with an established business conducted under an open claim of right for so many years. The laches in this case are such as to debar not merely the claim for profits, but anv claim to the interposition of a court of equitv. Manufacturing Co. v. Williams, 37 U, S. App. 109, 15 C. C. A. 520. and 68 Fed. 489.

The same defense is made by the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Company, but this defeudant does not point out in its brief any parts of the record that sustain its defense of laches. Though I consider the validity of the patent in suit exceedingly doubtful, in view of the patents to Hopkins, No. 110,057, dated January 3, 1871; to Wright, No. 69,292, dated September 24, 1867; to Marshall. No. 175,478. dated March 28, 1876; and to Sanborn, No. 57.977, dated September 11. 1866,—I do not deem it necessary to decide this question, as in my opinion the defendant does not infringe the patent "

JRR here: I certainly learned a lot about exactly what Fay's patent covers, and does not cover. The main feature seems to be the use of a loose fulcrum which I referred to above as a "spool-shaped piece".

The interesting thing is that the loose fulcrum, held between the legs by a combination of the spring and the adjustment screw, is a feature of practically all of Starrett's spring caliper offerings, the Fay's, the Yankees, and the Toolmaker's patterns all using this concept.

Another interesting thought is that the single fulcrum of the Fay/Starrett might be more stable than the two pivot pins of the Stevens design.

John Ruth
P.S. One of the more humourous mis-scans in the Google document is the substitution of "DeFEUDant" for "defendant". Is that an invented word? Describes litigants perfectly!

I have two of these calipers, but each have some rust. Is there a good way to remove rust without damaging the tools?

I cut it off with a sharp single edge razor blade. Somewhere on here there are threads about cleaning rust. Do a search. My process and many others are described in detail.

Ive found a round smooth rod of hard steel is good for surface rust on old guns(wet with a few drops of kerosine)....there is no chance of scratching,and the rust is crushed and can be wiped off with the kerosine..........I suspect a carbide rod would be even better,as its harder.

Back