What's new
What's new

...Photo...Archdale Milling Machine...

Good to see the 12" rule in his rule pocket. I never saw one of those tool room type milling machines in the field. Most " Archdale " milling machines were production type machines. They were ok build wise but a bit old fashioned in design and a bit " clunky " to use.

They made very good radial arm drills though.

Regards Tyrone.

The same pic is on Tony's Lathes UK site http://www.lathes.co.uk/archdale/ and the caption reads ;- Archdale 18" Combined Sliding and Swivelling Head High Speed Vertical Milling Machine - shown in use at the Barnsley works of Beatson, Clark & Co. Ltd. makers of glass bottles. The miller is shown running at 2000 r.p.m. using a 3/32" spherical cutter to mill 60 angular flutes in a glass bottle mound.

That photo appears on the Archdale pages of lathes.co.uk, it comes from a 1952 catalogue.

Here is the explanatory text:

Archdale 18" Combined Sliding and Swivelling Head High Speed Vertical Milling Machine - shown in use at the Barnsley works of Beatson, Clark & Co. Ltd. makers of glass bottles. The miller is shown running at 2000 r.p.m. using a 3/32" spherical cutter to mill 60 angular flutes in a glass bottle mound.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/archdale

Here is a brochure page for a similar machine, I can't recall where this image comes from:

Archdale 18 inch miller.jpg

"That is certainly an interesting way to tilt the head. "

Bit more rigid than the Bridgeport knuckle, eh?

True, but that head probably weighs more than an entire Bridgeport :D

Seriously, when you think how many BPs were made, and the number of clones, then add in the sheer amount of work they've done, they really deserve a better press than they get.

I hate to admit it due to my big iron fetish, but if I could have only one mill it would be a bridgeport/beaver type machine. Ok some things would take longer but I could do anything I needed. Proof being that nearly every shop has a b'port in the corner!

I find it interesting that even in a "modern" shop with that kind of equipment, they still have a belt driven grinder!

That style of OD grinder is very precise and capable of very fine finishes.
Much used in the gage industry.
Google Crystal Lake OD grinder.

What is the small unit on the top of the mill next to the motor? It looks like a luber of some sort. Jim

That's the sight glass, oil was pumped up to that large glass tube. " Archdale " liked to use a very large sight glasses on all their machines, the radial arm drills had them also at one time. In some ways it's a good idea until some fool hits them with the chains on the overhead crane hook. This one is also combined with a rotary comb type oil filter.

Regards Tyrone.

Last edited:

Back