What's new
What's new

...Photo...Boring and Turning on the Turret Lathe...

lathefan

Titanium
1496866457.jpg

Nice one Lathefan, and welcome home mate.

A Type (Saddle Turret) Warner & Swasey by the look of things (one of the smaller ones), .............that ones fitted with the taper turning gear on the front saddle cross slide.

FWIW that's comparatively rare pic of how a turret lathe ''should'' be used - more than 1 tool in the cut at the same time, .........made so much easier with the wide use of carbide tooling, I.E. you can maintain a good rate of cut on the smaller bore without burning up the larger OD tool .......going by the dust the job looks like CI to me.

Tyrones right about the pilot / steady bar, ....I've lost count of the number of times I've banged me nut on them, .....for those that don't know, the partially visible turret station on the extreme right carries the bush to align with the pilot bar, and judging by the shape of the tool in that station it carries more than 1 cutter.

Excellent photograph. No safety glasses! No computer! I like it.

Good observation about CI, Limy.

I usually bore at the 3 o'clock position of the bore, viewed from the turret. In this photograph, is that a boring bar cutting at the 12 o'clock position? I never thought about doing that, I suppose because I don't have a vertical milling attachment. I can see that there could be arguments for doing this, such as having gravity tending to keep the boring swarf away from the cutter. And then of course there are considerations that can be dictated by setups for simultaneous operations in two orthogonal directions.

-Marty-

Excellent photograph. No safety glasses! No computer! I like it.

Good observation about CI, Limy.

I usually bore at the 3 o'clock position of the bore, viewed from the turret. In this photograph, is that a boring bar cutting at the 12 o'clock position? I never thought about doing that, I suppose because I don't have a vertical milling attachment. I can see that there could be arguments for doing this, such as having gravity tending to keep the boring swarf away from the cutter. And then of course there are considerations that can be dictated by setups for simultaneous operations in two orthogonal directions.

-Marty-

I got called to an old " Herbert ' turret lathe one time. The turret boring bar was set up with the tool facing the operator and it was boring tapered.
We switched the boring bar holder through 90 degrees so the tool was facing upwards and the taper vanished.

Regards Tyrone.

Marty --

One of the major makers of turret lathes (can't say for sure if it was W&S) published a "how to use a turret lathe efficiently" book that specifically recommended positioning the boring bit at the top, to minimize the effect of turret-indexing variability on bore diameter.

John

I remember seeing a video of a turret lathe operation where they had a thread rolling tool mounted on the bar mentioned above. Probably not a common set-up though.

Marty --

One of the major makers of turret lathes (can't say for sure if it was W&S) published a "how to use a turret lathe efficiently" book that specifically recommended positioning the boring bit at the top, to minimize the effect of turret-indexing variability on bore diameter.

John

^^^^^This
The turret can index slightly off center even on a newish machine, and as it wears if can vary a lot, plus the looseness and wear of the gibs can allow the ram to travel off center a bit. The ram will always sit flat on the bottom ways though, which keeps the bored hole on size. On my #3 we used to do ±.001 bores from the turret all day with no special care. Most all of the boring heads and quick acting slides I've seen have traveled vertically. I checked the repeatability of mine with an indicator and was surprised how much operator technique could make the locked turret location vary, and how little it affected the bore size.

Nice one Lathefan, and welcome home mate.

A Type (Saddle Turret) Warner & Swasey by the look of things (one of the smaller ones), .............that ones fitted with the taper turning gear on the front saddle cross slide.

FWIW that's comparatively rare pic of how a turret lathe ''should'' be used - more than 1 tool in the cut at the same time, .........made so much easier with the wide use of carbide tooling, I.E. you can maintain a good rate of cut on the smaller bore without burning up the larger OD tool .......going by the dust the job looks like CI to me.

Tyrones right about the pilot / steady bar, ....I've lost count of the number of times I've banged me nut on them, .....for those that don't know, the partially visible turret station on the extreme right carries the bush to align with the pilot bar, and judging by the shape of the tool in that station it carries more than 1 cutter.

...Sami...thanks for pointing out the need to account for the surface speed differences when making multiple and combined cuts...

My apologies guys, ....I realise I should have mentioned the boring bar being set vertical and the reasons, ( the same applies to external turning tools)
My ooops, I didn't mention it because I took it for granted - AKA in my book ''that's the way it's done on a turret lathe''

Back