What's new
What's new

Photo: ...The Budd Company...Philadelphia Pennsylvania...

lathefan

Titanium
...The Budd Company was a 20th-century metal fabricator, a major supplier of body components to the automobile industry and a manufacturer of stainless steel passenger rail cars...

...January 03 1939...

...CLICK ON PHOTO...

This shop was in U-1 at the Phila. Huntingpark Ave. plant. In 1951 the Budd Co. Was making the turrets for the Patton tank at this plant and a 1/4 million square feet building was built on Fox St. For the manufacture of the turrets. In 1954 when the contract ended they moved all tooling construction into this empty plant which was designated U-6 but everyone referred the tool & die shop as "the tank plant". At one time it was the largest T&D plant in the US.

Budd Company

...The Budd Company was a 20th-century metal fabricator, a major supplier of body components to the automobile industry and a manufacturer of stainless steel passenger rail cars...

...January 03 1939...

Both of my wife's Grand fathers were wood pattern makers at the Budd Plant.
I believe her second cousin was the head of the machine shop.

mike

I LOOOOVE to see pix of Americans Working.

Back when we used to...

Sorry.

Back when it cost my Dad $60 for four stitches in my knee AND the tetanus shot.

That was a while ago...one might even say in a lost age.

We grow too soon old and too late shmart.

Joe in NH

...January 03 1939...

Both of my wife's Grand fathers were wood pattern makers at the Budd Plant.
I believe her second cousin was the head of the machine shop.

mike
I was a tool & die maker there for 30 years and 30 days before retiring in 2001. The photo is from the stamping & frame plant, there was another large plant 15 miles north where they made the rail cars.

Back