What's new
What's new

Photo and Video...Another Great British Engine...The BRM V-16...

lathefan

Titanium
...while the Merlin's purpose was deadly serious...the BRM (British Racing Motors) V16 was designed and built post war for the light hearted pursuit of motor racing...16 cylinders...1.5 litres...about 91 cubic inches...an amazing 600 horsepower at 12,000 RPM...notice the Merlin influence in the two stage supercharger...

...CLICK ON PHOTO for full size...

...CLICK ON PHOTO BELOW for short youtube video...turn up your speakers...

Beautiful machinery. It's remarkable, given the performance level and the number of moving parts, that the engine could survive a single race. A tribute to both design and workmanship !

I saw one in a museum in the UK. very impressive. Less impressive and a bit crazy was the F1 engine made by connecting 6 or so 2 stroke motorcycle engines to a shaft by chains. Had to be noisy as hell and how would you know if they were all running?

I am missing something..why 16 of so small a piston and displacement? That's essentially twice number of moving parts of a v-8 with all the attendent reliability problems.

Tom

I am missing something..why 16 of so small a piston and displacement? That's essentially twice number of moving parts of a v-8 with all the attendent reliability problems.

Tom

...small reciprocating parts have less inertia at high rpm...and the short piston stroke results in less piston speed at any given rpm...however the trade off is in increased friction...

...small reciprocating parts have less inertia at high rpm...and the short piston stroke results in less piston speed at any given rpm...however the trade off is in increased friction...

True, but why must the engine run at such high rpm? If its the torque curve, that can be addressed with gearing.

Tom

Tom

I was at Motegi race track in Japan, Honda has a fantastic museum there. All the bikes and cars on display run and are exercised on a regular basis. When I was there they were running laps with a 250cc 6 cylinder GP bike from the early 60s. It sounded awesome at 20,000 RPM! Why so many cylinders? The engine is limited to 250cc, not much torque. HP is torque x RPM / 5252, A tiny engine makes big HP if you rev the piss out of it. Tiny pistons and short stroke will allow lots of RPM so it will also make lots of HP.

True, but why must the engine run at such high rpm? If its the torque curve, that can be addressed with gearing.

Tom

...an engine is basically an air pump...the faster it turns the more air it pumps...more air mixes with more fuel...and more power is the result...

201412_1802_geaba_sm.jpg

I was at Motegi race track in Japan, Honda has a fantastic museum there. All the bikes and cars on display run and are exercised on a regular basis. When I was there they were running laps with a 250cc 6 cylinder GP bike from the early 60s. It sounded awesome at 20,000 RPM! Why so many cylinders? The engine is limited to 250cc, not much torque. HP is torque x RPM / 5252, A tiny engine makes big HP if you rev the piss out of it. Tiny pistons and short stroke will allow lots of RPM so it will also make lots of HP.

...CLICK ON PHOTO to hear it run...

This is a good short article on the BRM;

BRM Type 15 V16 and Uncle Henry?s Photos by Marcus Clayton | Primotipo...

The audio at about halfway-down is good.

Apropos the matter of rpm; the importance of revolutions was recognised a very long time ago in the field of steam.

In relation to the internal combustion engine, L. H. Pomeroy observed in a paper presented to the Institution of Automotive Engineers in 1910 that "Revolutions are of an abstract nature; they cost nothing, weigh nothing, have no shape or substance. If one can get more revolutions than another, it is hard to find a reason why he should not benefit thereby".

Here's the reason for the high rpm, the displacement was limited to 1.5L.

"1950–1953
Engine specs set at 1500 cc maximum size for engines with a compressor (supercharger or turbocharger) or 4500 cc for normally aspirated engines. No weight limit.[10] Note that in 1952 and 1953, the World Drivers' Championship was run to Formula Two regulations (maximum capacity of 750 cc for engines with a compressor or 2000 cc for normally aspirated engines), but the Formula One regulations remained unchanged, and numerous non-championship Formula One races were held during this period. Also for 1952, crash-helmets were made compulsory; but these helmets were made with dubious materials and looked like medium-sized dinner bowls.
Engine specs amended to allow 750 cc maximum engine size with a compressor or 2500 cc for a normally aspirated engine. No weight limit.[10]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Formula_One_regulations

Tom

Back