What's new
What's new

...Photos...F. H. Crafts Engine Lathe...1893...

lathefan

Titanium
...New Driving Device for Engine Lathe...

F. H. Crafts, senior member of the Buffalo Wood-working Machine Co., Buffalo, N. Y., has invented a driving device for engine lathes and other machines employing cone pulleys. The accompanying cuts give front and rear views of a 22” swing engine lathe embracing the new device...

The lathe was built in Cincinnati, by leading tool-builders, and at the experimental trial a number of manufacturers were present, and expressed their satisfaction with the results. The lathe has been subjected to the severest tests, with gratifying results, and there seems to be no doubt of its future...

18185-A.jpg

18185-B.jpg

Neat, I take it that each step on the driving cone was clutched separately allowing quick speed changes without the need to walk the belt over to another step, stopping the lathe ect..

Neat, I take it that each step on the driving cone was clutched separately allowing quick speed changes without the need to walk the belt over to another step, stopping the lathe ect..

...it appears that the operator would pull the handle above the step desired...and that would pull an idler pulley into the belt to tension it...

""The lathe has been subjected to the severest tests, with gratifying results, and there seems to be no doubt of its future...""
My guess is this fellow's crystal ball wasn't working the day he wrote this as I haven't seen anything like this or discussed on the multiple machinery forums that I follow. Maybe somebody will pop with a picture of one still in existence.

Harold

Actually, there is at least one modern CNC lathe builder that does this- the spindle has two belts, and they shove one idler or the other into place to switch between them in software.

allan

Do you suppose there is an "interlock" to keep one from pulling two levers at the same time?

Joe in NH

I doubt it, think of the many lathes of the period that lacked an interlock in the apron to prevent feeds and threads from being engaged at the same time, such conveniences didn't become common place until the 1920s my south bend 34 lacks one, I believe they came out a year or so later after mine was produced.

Back