What's new
What's new

...Photos...Walter A. Wood Mowing & Reaping Machine Company...1905...

lathefan

Titanium
woodplantall.jpg

WoodPlantMachineShop.jpg

WoodPlantToolRoom.jpg

WoodPlantLathe.jpg

WoodPlantDrillRoom.jpg

I have an old Wood catalog. Its sobering to think exactly how much machinery these companies had to produce their products. In this case nothing requiring a lot of precision, but look at the huge investment in machine tools. A lot of machines , and workers too of course, were needed to make this essential basic product. And they were but one of many making similar competing products. Lots of machine tools...and machinists.

I had always thought Walter A Wood was a British firm ,I have a pic /drawing of one of their mowers (could be a reaper )in a book somewhere. You learn something every day on PM!

That is an excellent--though not clear--photograph of a bright and shiny fair sized Putnam lathe. This says S,W, Putnam & Sons, i think, and the photograph is inscribed '1905.' Nice, thanks.

It seems the same lathe is shownm in photos 2 and 3.

I had always thought Walter A Wood was a British firm ,I have a pic /drawing of one of their mowers (could be a reaper )in a book somewhere. You learn something every day on PM!

You were correct in your assumption Sable. Walter A. Wood established a British entity sometime in the 1890's or so. This firm had a long career furnishing equipment to the British farmer up into the 1980's. Rumor has it that Massive-Ferguson absorbed them at some point, though this is not verified.

The original Wood firm went into receivership in 1923, but was eventually dismantled and sold off in 1924.

The above info came from an article on an antique farm equipment site I found when Googling the company.

Walter A. Wood implement seats seem to be very common. Next time you're at a junk shop or farm auction take a look. I don't collect them, but I have one. I think I've even seen a picture of one on a Barnes lathe. That tall crotch hump looks scary.

Attachments

• IMG_1924.jpg
    IMG_1924.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 202
The place sure seems like an unkempt mess. Parts on the floor everywhere stacked with no order.

That's about normal for those days. More order than you might think, but less than later after the time and motion study people got going on it.

Back