What's new
What's new

Pinging Tyrone or Sami - Clausing Colchester question

maynah

Stainless
Gents,
I'm taking the spindle out of a 13" Clausing Colchester Student MK 1 1/2 and need some expertise. I've removed every fastener I can find. I can't seem to make the outside bearing cover budge, (in the first picture). I've tapped the rear of the spindle, with a hammer/ wood block, and it still feels very solid. Any advise is very much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2826.jpg
    IMG_2826.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2827.jpg
    IMG_2827.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2829.jpg
    IMG_2829.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 106
The back (rear) spindle cover is just that,but there is a nut inside that must be removed........there are six holes,three go right thru to the spring carrier inside ,and need to be removed.......if you have taken out all six screws,drive a thin blade into the gasket ,and remove the cover,then undo the nut........the rear spindle rollerbearing is a slip fit on the spindle,but can be tight if it has picked up due to lack of oil......the internal bits should slip off ,as the spindle is removed with the front cover and bearing.......however ,best to loosen the front nut while its held steady.There is a threaded plug as keeper........I had to modify mine a bit to eliminate costly Gamet bearing replacement.........Note both nuts may have threaded plug locks.......With the spindle out,remove the front nut,and bang the whole assy down onto a bit of wood,holding it by the front cover etc.......the bearings will fall loose.........Warning......do not pull the Gamet to pieces,it will run out after.

Another warning.....if the rear spindle bearing is stuck tight ,it has likely seized to the spindle........Do not press it off.....you will score the spindle.....remove the bearing some other way.......If the oil level in the head falls,this bearing will seize.....IMHO there is too much spring load on it,and you often see the number of springs(13) reduced to 6 or so......Parts are costly and difficult to find in usable condition.

Thanks for saving me some embarrassment john k. Although I've worked on a few " Colchester " Students over the years I've got to admit I've never actually removed the spindle on one. I've had the spindles out on bigger " Colchester " lathes and on many other lathes but no two designs are the exactly the same so I'd loathe to give advice without either seeing the machine or better still having access to an assembly drawing.

I'd be interested in you expanding on your thinking regarding the spring loading of the bearings. I remember trying to check the spindle bearings on a Student years ago using the old pry bar behind the spindle flange test and my recollection is that the spindle moved a bit too freely for my liking. Given the fact that the lathe was in a school I'm pretty sure that the number of springs would not have been reduced on this particular lathe.

Regarding removing end caps/bearing covers etc my go to tool was a very good wooden handled painters pallet knife with a 1/16 " by 2" wide blade. I sharpened it to a really sharp knife edge and I used this to tap in between end cap and casting. Once you're get that in you could gently prize the end cap away from the casting. You need to be careful that you don't damage any seals/gaskets.

Thanks and regards Tyrone.

Thanks john.k for the clear, concise, instructions. I've got it out.
And thanks also to Tyrone. Even if you don't have the specific answer your posts are always interesting.

Maynah Thankfully?? ......... the other two answered ( thanks guys) for I'm not a Colchester man and have never had one apart.

Mind you, ........... on the other hand, ............I can think of several I'd willingly have taken apart - with a 14lb sledge :D

Back