What's new
What's new

Pocket sized machinist tool box in the shape of a book.

rivett608

Diamond
One of the pieces in my collection that I don’t think I have ever posted, well really there is a lot of them! This is a neat little thing that was in the late AntiqueMac’s collection for years. I tired every trick in the book, buy, trade, swap, argue why I should own it instead of him, etc. Anyway in 2009 it became mine! He finally decided to sell it to me.

So what we have is a tiny, 6” x 2 3/4” x 1” pocket sized tool box carved from mahogany in the shape of a book. It also has on the lid and in the inside a piece of either ebony or dark rosewood inlaid with strips of lighter wood. The workmanship on the outside is much nicer than that on the inside, why?

The tools are a Standard Tool Co. 3” rule, a H. Boker divider, a Bemis & Call double caliper and a shop made square. The tools are all stamped 11 03 which I assume is Nov. of 1903 which would match the age of the tools and look of the box.

Now the sad part, who ever made this did not sign it or leave clues to his, we assume, identity.

There are also 3 tools missing and I have never figured out what they were. I don’t believe they commercially produced, I own a large collection of machinist tools and nothing I have fits the cut out places. In the lid was something 4 1/2” long, 1/2” wide and 1/8” thick. First thought would be a rule, but no one made a 4 1/2” one or a 1/8” thick one. Maybe base for a depth gauge but no cut out for a locking knob. Next is across the back, it has a big end, like a ball or hinge. Maybe a drafting style divider? But the way the cut outs ar won’t let one fit. Maybe a scribe? Or the rod with a ball for the depth stop? The last thing is the short item in the middle. I thought center punch but again the cut out was for something oval in section?

So what, if you were making this a 114 years ago would have you put in the box?

Attachments

• CF68B2C2-439B-4B8D-953E-E295A98362B8.jpg
    CF68B2C2-439B-4B8D-953E-E295A98362B8.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 464
  • 59CBBAC6-7052-4819-B584-F8872CD64274.jpg
    59CBBAC6-7052-4819-B584-F8872CD64274.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 452
  • 45BFB815-F142-4220-A384-AEE18780F444.jpg
    45BFB815-F142-4220-A384-AEE18780F444.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 490
  • AAC9188F-AA09-405C-AB21-FBED1FD2D006.jpg
    AAC9188F-AA09-405C-AB21-FBED1FD2D006.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 446
A nice little thing. I have a similar box containing drafting instruments set - probably late 19th century.

I also collect drafting sets and have a nice fairly early one in the shape of a book. It is early 18th century but lacking instruments. I would love to see a picture of yours. Can you post or send one?

Thanks

Franco, I never thought of that. I’ll look in to it. Now trying to think if I have one. I know the Standard Tool co. Made a 12” 4 fold but it was only a 1/4” wide.

Thanks

I would like too but need some technical help. These pictures were shot with a new iPod mini. It seems to have a great camera but I can’t find a way to size the photos. I also uploaded them to the PM directly from the iPod and this is what size they came out. Is there a step I’m missing?

Thanks

I would like too but need some technical help. These pictures were shot with a new iPod mini. It seems to have a great camera but I can’t find a way to size the photos. I also uploaded them to the PM directly from the iPod and this is what size they came out. Is there a step I’m missing?

Thanks

On a Windows computer, click on one of the thumbnails in the post and then click on the larger image that appears. It will open in a window by itself with a black margin. Hold the ctrl key and press the + key as many times as you like. Each time you press +, the image will get larger. The - key will make it smaller. Press ctrl and the top row 0 (zero) key and the image will reset. At some point the resolution of the original image will begin to make the enlarged image blur. When you are done looking at the image, click on the back arrow (upper left corner of the screen) to return to the post so you can repeat the enlarging steps on the next thumbnail.

Apple users are on your own.

Larry

Back