What's new
What's new

Porter Cable Milling Attachment Horizontal Mill

Sthammer

Plastic
Hello all. I have been looking for a porter cable milling attachment for my horizontal mill for some time now and not having much luck. So I decided to build one but I am having a heck of a time finding any plans or measurements to even begin looking for materials. Is there anyone on here that can help or point me in the right direction? I have a very old United States Machine co horizontal mill model #1. With the milling head it would be a lot more versatile. Thanks Tony

I've got a MKII Porter Cable attachment kicking around over at my old shop.... bought it for my Sheldon 0 miller, then got a vertical mill.
Why you would go to the trouble of building one is beyond me. You'd be better off with a vertical head with it's own motor. You'd just about have to use a chain drive to power the thing, not enough wrap for a V belt, then the RPM's are too slow for a end mill that fits B&S 7, etc...

Hello all. I have been looking for a porter cable milling attachment for my horizontal mill for some time now and not having much luck. So I decided to build one but I am having a heck of a time finding any plans or measurements to even begin looking for materials. Is there anyone on here that can help or point me in the right direction? I have a very old United States Machine co horizontal mill model #1. With the milling head it would be a lot more versatile. Thanks Tony

Well I'm limited on space and power in my shop. No room in my engine shop or in my machine shop for another mill. I was hoping to make my horizontal mill more versatile with the porter attachment. I don't do a lot of heavy machining just small stuff. If anyone knows where one is for sale, please let me know.

Maybe I don't understand what you are looking for but why would you need a milling attachment for a milling machine?

Sorry lol for not clarifying. I have an old horizontal mill and I don't have a vertical mill in my shop. So if I had the vertical milling attachment then my horizontal can perform two roles instead of just the one.

Where are you located?

I ask because I just picked up a milling head that may be able to be adapted. Sort of like a small M head.

Last edited:
They made at least two versions.. I bought the upper one in this post. I chased it down some time ago and found that P-C called it the MK II.
It mounts in place of the overarm.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...fs-2-small-milling-heads-porter-cable-158542/
And I gotta agree with Larry. An old M head would be vastly superior to what I have.
What is the top spindle RPM on your Burke/US Machine mill?
Run some numbers on the cutting speeds calculator in this link and ask yourself if you could get enough speed.
http://littlemachineshop.com/reference/cuttingspeeds.php

Consider getting a Rusnok milling head, easily mounts on your machine's overarm, parts are still available, and you have multiple different tool speeds possible..

This is what my mill looks like13010-A.jpgIm in Nevada. Do you have any pictures of the mill head your talking about? My horizontal mill has a 2.25" over arm support.

Interesting photo - looks like a PC MKI head on a Burke.
Looks like there is enough space to get a decent belt drive to a PC head on this machine, not enough room on the Sheldon. My shaft is 2". I'll be putting up for sale pretty quick, with the proviso that a Burke/US mill is the target, not a Sheldon.

767-1-z.jpg

Last edited:

Back