What's new
What's new

Possible sim-pull countershaft and other whatsits

rusty old tools

Hot Rolled
Recently I picked up a load of Lineshaft components for the shop, in the lot were a few oddballs, first is what I think might have been a sim-pull type countershaft that seems to be missing the shift mechanism, I’d like to recreate it or at least build some sort of similar shift mechanism to go on it, seems perfect for a pedestal grinder (whenever I can manage to find one lol)

The next looks to be a small bench grinder or buffing and polishing unit, I’ve only got the main casting, I thought it might be fun to make a spindle and pulleys for it, can anyone ID it? A couple photos of a complete one would really help in recreating the missing parts.

The last thing I’m not sure what it would have been for, clearly a countershaft of some sort, can anyone ID what it may have come off of?

I have a Brown & Sharpe No. 0 bench grinder that I will sell. I have not looked at it lately, but I think it is all there and obviously never repainted.

The catalog page is from the 1925 B&S catalog. No belt fork on it, so maybe it was shifted with a wood stick.

It was originally installed on an original circa 1910 Hardinge bench with a Cataract lathe and mill driven from an overhead counter on pipes that were part of the bench assembly. Hardinge had a patent on this bench design, one version of which is shown below. I think the grinder was mounted about where the picture shows a Cataract sensitive drill press, but I got it about 1980, so the memory has faded.

Larry

DSC01327.jpg No. 0 Tool Grinder 1.jpg No. 0 Tool Grinder 2.jpg No. 0 Tool Grinder 3.jpg DSC01328.jpg

That sure is a pretty grinder, though I’d hate to think of what the shipping would be from Indiana out here to California, I really don’t have a place in my overall plan for the shop to place a bench mounted unit, I’m really wanting a pedestal model, I’m not even really sure where I’ll place the one I’ve got, but I thought it would make for a fun quick project, might put a shaft perpendicular to where I intend to place the main shaft that will run on the wall behind my bench for smaller tools like this.

Back