What's new
What's new

Mimik Tracer question

atgordon

Cast Iron
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but I can't see anywhere else it fits (John ....?).

I have picked up a Mimik 7000, and it does have the template holder, but it is missing the bracketry that attaches to the tailstock that holds the template holder ... I did get a manual off fleabay, but it doesn't really show the detail I need to try and make one ...

Does anyone have a Mimik 7000 tailstock setup they can photograph/dimension for me so I can reproduce one?

Thanks, Tony

I have been in touch with them (for a manual), and although I must admit I haven't asked them for drawings specifically, the guy who replied did say they had very limited info available from their takeover of Mimik (they don't even have an original manual!).

Off topic somewhat, I did post the info they gave me on acquiring a manual in the Manuals section. Once I get a better scanner, I am working with them to share my original manual!

NOTHING attaches to the tailstock. You should have a rail which attaches to the near side V way by clamping. It must be indicated parallel with the z axis. The templates are clamped to this rail.

whew!!!! I didnt want to say anything, partly because we used these in a shop I worked in not long ago (apparently the mimiks are antiques:willy_nilly:) a little embarrassing to say the least. Plus I figured it was a fancy modern mimik which attaches to the tail stock, that I never heard of.

but il agree with tmidget, its a bracket that clamps to the front bed rail, and you can pivot the arm to contact the template, you can make one yourself fairly easily. Picture a little bracket which holds the template nice and horizontal from the bed rail facing you, thats about it, just make sure its a secure hold. Obviously the templates flat side is the side that clamps, and the probe contacts the countours.

I did use the tailstock barrel as a starting point/datum whenever I was setting up that hated tracer attachment, just so I had a rough diameter to go off to position the cutting tool from, as opposed to guessing in thin air.

Tracer attachments have got to be a HUGE reason for CNC, man I disliked those things. Best of luck

I need to start out by saying I've never seem an hydraulic tracer like this .. the one's I've used were attached to the back of the bed, and drove the crossslide hydraulically: heavy duty piece-rate production stuff.

This is a lot lighter, but since my newly acquired 14-40 doesn't have a taper attachment, I though this might work.

I can see how a bed mounted holder would work ... and I can also see why Mimik seemed to go for the tailstock option since you are attaching to a lump of metal with a larger footprint, and therefore more mechanically stable (in theory). I've attached the page from the manual that describes the setup procedures and you will see that I'm not pulling your chain ...

As I said, I'm not saying that the Mimik method is the best or right one! Tony

Bracket-mounting.pdf

Well ! never seen one like that and hope I don't. That looks wayyyy flimsy compared to the rail clamped to the front way. However that does not look like you have much option. I guess make a clamp on rig but still looks delicate to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate the invite but I think I'll pass ;-)

I think you have a good point: by attaching to the tailstock, they could reduce the size of bed clamped rig since the base was provided by the TS. I've just find someone who has one so I can see how it works, although I think I could probably create something similar without too much trouble (and beef it up at the same time). Incidentally, I did a google search and found photos showing the template holder fixed to the top of the crossslide with sheet metal attachments; it looked REALLY flimsy!

Here are some pictures of the tailstock template holder I made for my LeBlond. I took the tailstock and put it on my mill to do the machining to fit the template. I use the tailstock ways for fore/aft positioning. The adjusting screw shown is 20 tpi, so one turn is .10 on diameter. I haven't graduated the nut for fine adjustment yet.

The template is for a NMTB 40 tool holder.

Attachments

• tracer machine shop 005.jpg
    tracer machine shop 005.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 449
  • tracer machine shop 006.jpg
    tracer machine shop 006.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 787
  • tracer machine shop 007.jpg
    tracer machine shop 007.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 483
Hi GBent,

I really like the idea ... substantial and easy to adjust. I think I prefer your design to the Mimik adjustable rigging solution ... way too complicated. The top of my Chinese 14x40 tailstock has lots of meat so it would be fairly straighforward to add such a fixture, and still use the Mimik template clamping system (which works well, and would allow templates to be swapped very easily).

Your type 40 template is just the kind of thing that I'm looking in the ER-40 and range.

Tony

Missing bracket

Hi Tony,

I recollect having a 7000 series tracer gathering dust so I went digging today and found what I believe you are looking for. Let me know if i can be of further assistance.
DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

Thanks Bob,

What an interesting arrangement. I do have the top template clamping plate, but not the other parts. The micrometer adjustments are interesting to see up close, but as was noted in the posts above, it does look pretty flimsy ... having said that, I do not have any idea of the pressure that is applied to the stylus and the response capability of the hydraulic unit ... it may not need to be too substantial!

It also looks like the lower of the two adjustment units (the crossslide adjustment) might have been setup to attach to the top of a tailstock ...

Most helpful photos.

Many thanks, Tony

Back