What's new
What's new

Pratt and Whitney horizontal mill

Dsirons

Plastic
Can anyone tell me any info about this milling machine? To my knowledge, it pre-dates the "model 00" but aside from that, I really can't find much else on it. This is a pic I found online, but is exactly like the mill I just purchased. Any help on a year, model number, tooling, accessory availabiltly, anything, would be greatly helpful. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-17-20-07-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-04-17-20-07-32.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 362
You mean this milling machine?

2017-04-17 21.54.29.jpg

I assume mine is a #00, but it's not marked as such. The bed on mine has clearly been modified, to fix damage or to match other tooling.

2017-04-17 21.55.19.jpg

I'm curious, what does the headstock/column face look like on yours? I've got both Hardinge and Ames millers, both have headstock profiles that match the tables, which match the lathe bed for a comparable size lathe (Ames even advertised that you could buy a lathe and a mill but only had to buy one headstock between the two), but not my P&W.

2017-04-17 21.54.45.jpg

Collets on mine are 3PN. You should be able to use parts from P&W lathes as well. Not sure how common they are, but I have bed adapters to go between Waltham/Ames/Stark (hmm, maybe there's a pattern there...?) so it shouldn't be hard to fit tooling for other comparable machines.

Copes "American Milling Machines" has a multi-page write-up on Pratt & Whitney production.

Not in front of me now.

The P&W millers started pretty small and on a long legged "T" shaped scupper edged table.

content

Note that the spindle/headstock of this machine is "removable" (after the fashion of Ames and others) and was shared by many other P&W machines of similar stature. I have the 00 Turret Lathe (with Parkhurst Feed) which uses the same component.

pw1crop.jpg

Later the table legs got shorter and the machine larger and with more fully integrated spindle - but on the same table. Both of these tools above may be from this ilk.

My thought it if you find "Pratt & Whitney" cast into the body of the tool, you're talking a tool made after the 1882 rework of P&W tooling. This when they changed the colors of the machines from black to a dark grey and caught the market attention at a Boston showing of that year.

And the company name went from a brass plate thus..

Antique-pratt-and-whitney-hand-milling-machine-adpic-4.PHP.jpg

...to the cast in logo.

img34-2.gif

There may be exceptions to this. The nameplate I show above is a very late P&W plate. The earlier ones have the same general shape, but the lettering is smaller and more ornate.

Joe in NH

Last edited:
Ill take some pics of my actual machine, but it is EXACTLY like the one pictured. The head and column are the same, the company logo is embossed on the side in the same fashion, (which is what makes me think its different from the "zero". The Pratt and Whitney logo is arched like in my original image, and there are no other markings. Mine is bolted to an old steel cart, and has a huge pully system rigged up to it. Which was very well done.

Back