What's new
What's new

Pratt and Whitney No 3 Bench Lathe

Blinky

Plastic
I just purchased a P&W number 3 lathe that is in great shape. I am thrilled with it. It came with a 3 jaw chuck (I will attach pictures). I have tried to remove the chuck but cant for the life of me figure out how it comes off. This is my 6th lathe and I have removed my share of stuck chucks. However, this acts strange. Its easy enough to lock the head and then i\I put a strap wrench around the head. I was able to get a lot of torque on the chuck and it began to spin. However, as it spins it moves very "stiffly" and with a "spongy" feel, not like it is on threads. You all know what I mean when you feel threads break loose, there is a distinct feel. This feels more like its just spinning on an arbor. I am afraid to spin it too much (I have gone maybe two to three revolutions) since I don't want to screw something up. I would like to also used collets on this lathe but not sure how that all works. Since I cant find any type of manual on line i would appreciate any help you can provide. Also, one of the oilers is busted so i am wondering if one of you can recommend an alternative for replacement. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1123 (1).jpg
    IMG_1123 (1).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 622
Ditto to Screwmachine. I have a P&W #3 with chucks that are mounted with the collet drawbar.

Unscrew the drawbar and remove it while holding the chuck with your right hand. It may come right out,or you may need to use a nockout bar to tap it out. The collet arbor,also known as a stub,is on the back of the chuck and goes in the spindle nose just like a collet. You may find that the stub is screwed into the chuck plate,but it still has to come out before you can use collets. Be aware that there is a key in the spindle nose that engages the collets and or the stub. Trying to unscrew the chuck from the stub while it's in the spindle could damage the key. That would not be good.

Chucks on those lathes are located by an external taper on the spindle nose and- as others have said- are held in place by the collet drawbar. Once the chuck is off, collets will fit directly in the spindle. The standard size for those lathes is Pratt & Whitney No. 3 (3PN).

Andy

Thanks for all the insight from everyone. I am at work but will check it tonight. Sounds like I need to turn the draw bar counter clockwise while holding the chuck. I don't think I messed up the key, at least I hope not, I was going pretty slow and now with the insights you all offered I am sure it was just slipping in the collet, which is why it felt like a "resistance slip" when it moved.

The draw bar came out perfectly. The key in the spindle was in good shape. Measured the runout of the stub, less than a 10th. This lathe is wonderful. thanks again for the help.

Back