Precision video
Close
Login to Your Account

Thread: Precision video

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Precision video

I started a video project to document my recreation of what is billed as the first micrometer as created by James Watt. The more I looked into how and where precision came from the more it facinated me so I elected to make my first video based just on the history of precision and measurement. This is obviously a huge subject so I had to focus on a subset and surely I could have gone a lot of other directions but I think what I chose is fair for an overview.

The more I dug into Watt's micrometer the more interesting the story became. The Science Museum London was kind enough to send me their notes on it but in email discussions with the Curator of Mechanical Engineering I was a bit shocked to hear it might not be what it appears to be. I'm temporarily living in Europe for a year and will be visiting London in the next couple of months to investigate the matter directly. This will be the subject of an upcoming video.

Here in Paris I am working to visit the Paris Observatory archives and review the expedition notes from Mechain and Delambre when they determined (slightly incorrectly but not their fault) the length of the meter. I'm hoping to see the original Provisional Meter and maybe even their repeating circles. Again, I'll make a video of whatever I come up with.

For now, I've pasted below the link to the first one and I have a couple more of the actual building process which I will finish editing and post (to youtube, I shan't bother you again here) in the coming weeks.

Origins of Precision and first project introduction - YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please keep the updates coming here, your video looks great and am looking forward to your build.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Excellent video! Keep up the great work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James Burke and "Connections" comes to mind.

Joe in NH

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is nice to see the "Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy” by Wayne R. Moore.
    One of my favourite books.

6. Likes Marty Feldman, Grigg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You guys are too kind. Probably not a surprise I'm a huge James Burke fan and I based a portion of this video on a clip he did in this same institution. I'll post that clip to my website. I have a long way to go to get to the quality work he did at the BBC but hey it's just me This is a big step forward from me last one though.

This video is on some of the amazing objects in the Musée des arts et métiers. This covers mostly scientific instruments but the next part will heavily cover some of the really amazing early machine tools in the collections. I could make 100 videos on this place but I think I'll stick to 2 and then get back to posting the build videos from working on the Watt micrometer.

Edit: Hunter Davidson - the message you sent me on my website didn't have a return email address and I wasn't able to get in touch with you. Please contact me again with your correct email.
    Last edited by wfrancis; 01-12-2018 at 04:45 PM.

8. Likes enginebill, texasgunsmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pop-up Guy! Burke used to 'pop-up' from below/out of frame and begin his presentation in an often-unexpected manner. Just keeping things lively, I imagine. Great shows.

I'll settle in on the OP's video later tonight...

Chip