What's new
What's new

Prentiss Tool and Supply Co. Drill Press (Antique? Vintage?)

SteveFURNFAC17

Plastic
Hey Y'all,

Doing some general house-keeping in our warehouse/facility and managed to come across an old press from Prentiss Tool and Supply Co. Looks to be from New York. Does anyone have any information to the history of this specific machine/company. I was also interested in value (maybe restoration if its worth it), and perhaps selling if someone was willing to pick it up. Any serious inquiries, please feel free to private message me and maybe we can get the ball rolling. Otherwise, any input please feel free to comment/reply. I have provided pictures below. Thanks for the help!

Steve Modrzynski
Easton, PA

Machine3.jpgMachine2.jpgMachine1.jpg

Prentiss, New York appears to be a machine retailer of MANY manufacturers of machines.

Prentice - in many variants - is a Worcester, MA based manufacturer of tools in the 19th century - but this not it.

A quick look at what shows in the second pix MIGHT show this to be a Snyder drill press - but that is uncertain given the visual clues - a LOT of so called "camelback" upright drills have similar (or identical) appearance. Perhaps another view? The machine appears in good shape.

As to selling, I recently sold for $100 a WF & John Barnes 20" upright drill. Stood about 5-1/2 feet tall (a little short as these things go) but a serviceable machine after a little cleaning up and TLC. This price was a little low - but I had little in it and wanted to make it move.

Others of this ilk, I see in the $200 to $500 range - the upper pricing seems to leave them stagnant.

I bought a Pratt & Whitney (name brand catchet!) upright drill for $300. It is early (no hand lever feed), perhaps 25" size (drills to the center of a 12.5" radius circle) and stands a full 6' tall. When quill is retracted to full height it is between the joists of the floor above. Needs a small amount of work but was all there (minus a three phase motor add-on.)

Generally your market for this will be among the "plug & play" users. If the machine is like that then you can command higher pricing. If its missing the motor or needs work to be used, then lesser amounts.

Good luck - good condition is in your favor.

Joe in NH

Thanks for the reply Joe! Lots of help! Didn't know much about this particular machine. I will definitely consider looking into cleaning it up and getting it out the door for some green.

Steve
Easton, Pa

Haha Stephen, since we're on the topic of old machinery...maybe you can take my hands off of this computer!! To rotate a picture would have caused some serious grief/time. I started typing this reply at 12:26 pm....it just registered all my characters! :wall:

I have discovered that the orientation of photos posted online is not always predictable. I suspect it may have something to do with the orientation of the camera when the photo was first taken. A photo posted to another site by me was upright when I uploaded it, but was sideways after the upload. The camera was held in the portrait position when I took the photo and rotated in the computer before I uploaded it. When uploaded it it was rotated 90 degrees. Still much to learn but I suspect there is some information in the digital data of the photo as to the camera position.

Bob
WB8NQW

Neat looking DP.I'm afraid the old craftsmen with the skills & training to properly work those special sideways wall mounted units like the operator in you picture has about vanished from industry.smt
Changed the photos from wall to floor mount so simple operators of today will find it easier to clamp parts to the table.
Might be a Snyder but the quill looks different.
The rack on the right side of the column is typical Snyder.
The counterweight for the quill should be inside the column.
Added two photos for identification. If it is a Snyder look for the company name cast in raised letters on the right side of the upper column.This is a feature from 1880's carried thru to 1921.
The illustration is from the 1921 catalog and Thanks to Andy FitzGibban for posting.
J. E. Snyder - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

Snyder plain upright drill.jpgMachine1~.jpgMachine2~.jpgMachine3~.jpg1921 Snyder Catalog.jpg

John

Changed the photos from wall to floor mount so simple operators of today will find it easier to clamp parts to the table.
Might be a Snyder but the quill looks different.
The rack on the right side of the column is typical Snyder.
The counterweight for the quill should be inside the column.
Added two photos for identification. If it is a Snyder look for the company name cast in raised letters on the right side of the upper column.This is a feature from 1880's carried thru to 1921.
The illustration is from the 1921 catalog and Thanks to Andy FitzGibban for posting.
J. E. Snyder - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

John

Here are some updated views...

Machine6.jpgMachine5.jpgMachine4.jpg

Back