What's new
What's new

Prentiss Tool and Supply Lathe

john holcomb

Aluminum
Tomorrow I am picking up a cone head lathe marked Prentiss Tool and Supply Co. Machinery New York and Chicago. It looks to be about a 12 x 36 and is complete with the exception of the change gears. The scrap man was going to get it :eek: so I bought it, :rolleyes: even though I don't need it. Anyone who can use it I will pass it along for the $200 I paid for it. I guess you guys are getting to me I just couldn't stand to see it junked. I will have more info tomorrow and e-mailable pictures. It has an electric motor conversion but still has the upper jack shaft and belt tensioner, it could be used as is or converted back to lineshaft with very little work.

I have the machine and it looks like it is a 12 x 24. On the speed chart it says Charles A. Mann Manufacturing Providence RI. Any idea where to look for a SN. Has anyone ever heard of this company? Caqn I impose on someone to post pictures if I e-mail them as my software does not want to allow me to do that. Thanks John

Charles A. Mann of Providence, RI is in Cope, with a couple of cuts.

circa 1885-1905
10 and 11 inch
lineshaft and foot power
engine and plain

Larry

John:

Gold Machinery has in the past bought machines to add to their " Made in Rhode Island " collection.

You may want to contact them to see if they have an interest in this one.

Jim C.

100_0400.jpg

I am posting some photos of John's lathe for him. Gary P. Hansen

Thank You Gary,What I have found out so far is that Charles A Mann was listed in the Providence City directory in 1878 as the foreman of the Franklin Foundry and later as a machinest on his own. An advertisement in the 1893 directory list him as the maker of jewler's lathes, engine lathes and hand lathes. The Prentiss tool and supply tag must be the dealer who sold the lathe. Since they are listed as NY and Chicago could they be the vise Prentiss also from NY? I will start cleaning this weekend and look closer for a SN stamped somewhere. For a small lathe this looks to be very heavy built and I see no evidence of cracks or repairs after its 100+ years. Thanks again Gary and anyone who can shed additional light on this topic I would love to hear from them.

Oh, I forgot to thank Lee Teverow from the Rhode Island Historical Society Referance Library for his reserch into Charles A. Mann for me. It is groups like them that keep our history alive and allow people like me access to information we would otherwise never find. Thank you

Another Mann Lathe Found

I went to a local auction yesterday and picked up a CA Mann lathe. Looks like 12" swing and around 24" centers. It does run but I really don't like the way someone did the motor conversion. It appears the original color is the green it is in now. Haven't had much time to check it out yet. Hope I can get the photos up for everyone to see. Will answer questions anyone may have about it as I guess there isn't many of these around. I should be getting a Lodge and Shipley Lathe of 1897 soon. Will have to take a chain saw to cut down the trees grown around it.

Attachments

• DSCF3225.jpg
    DSCF3225.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 501
More CA Mann Lathe photos

Still trying on the photos

Attachments

• DSCF3215.jpg
    DSCF3215.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 336
  • DSCF3216.jpg
    DSCF3216.jpg