What's new
What's new

Proud new Hendey Owner....Looking for information

klutchman7016

Plastic
I purchased a Hendey lathe and brought it home this past weekend. It's a 1947 #2 general purpose lathe serial # 37212H91. I haven't been able to find much about these particular models yet, nor have I found a manual which depicts this style lathe. I did find one post where Hendeyman said that these were new models introduced in 1947. Overall, this machine looks to be in good condition. I've found one problem, which I'm hoping someone can help me with. I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet to try and fix it, but there's a large pin which looks to have wiggled loose and now prevents the large pulley in the primary belt drive from turning. The pulley is grooved on the inside from hitting this pin, so it looks like it's been a growing problem. At this point it's fully obstructed. The pin will pull all the way out, but cannot be pushed in any further. Does anyone know it's purpose? I've included a picture of that.

Also, The large lever on the headstock controls the belt. The smaller lever towards the right end of the headstock I believe is the backgear, correct? And then at the far left end of the headstock is a small black knob which can be pulled out. This engages a different gear, which I'm unsure of the purpose. None of the manuals I've seen so far show a lathe with this knob.

Thanks in advance
Keith

00707_fm0T0Q8CVbg_600x450.jpg20170218_151503.jpg20170218_151513.jpg20170218_151551.jpg

Also, i meant to ask if anyone knows what that cylindrical device is, attached to the end of the motor shaft. It's shown in the 2nd picture. It has a cable coming off of it that goes into the front section of the pedestal where the rest of the electrical controls are.

As busy as this forum seems to keep Hendeyman, I didn't want to bother him with some of the basic questions of the machine if other forum users could help shed light and advice on this machine. I was able to figure out the problem with the Pin, I took it apart last night and it's the greasable pivot pin for the motor mount. The set screw seems to have come loose long ago and it slowly wiggled itself loose into the large pully. I've since cleaned it up an gotten it back into place with the set screw in there. I'd really like to know what that electrical unit is attached to the motor pulley. The wires were cut off of whatever they were attached to and are left there in front control area.

I'd eventually like some of Hendeyman's input, I'm hoping to get some more information on this specific machine and hopefully some drawings and part information.

Thanks

Pretty nice "photo" of my personal copy. Wonder who decided I would be fine with VM having it?

Here is the only authorized link - thanks to Greg Menke

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/hendey/1940-Hendey-Op-Man.pdf

Seeing as copyright has definitely expired, it seems best to have manuals on a public available site. I didn't post it there, but just saying. I personally would rather have manuals on VM than the U.K. lathe site. I certainly don't mind Greg hosting as well, but what happens if Greg's server goes down ?

I have a No 1 x 30 which is a 12"(14.5" actual) swing. It was manufactured for about 5 years ending in 1954..Yours was in production for a few more years underthe Barber Coleman brand and i think the drive was changed to a DC motor and electronic contoller for the BC years. Yours probably has a belt drive and a 3 phase motor as mine does. I have some descriptions and will try to post tomorrow.
Hendeyman has No 2 General Purpose lathe and sent me a note indicating he is very pleased with it.
Bruce

Thanks everyone for the information so far. John, on page 4 of that manual with the parts labeling. Item #16 is the "sliding Feed Gear Lever" is it safe to assume that this is the same function on my #2 general purpose? What exactly is it used for? (I haven't been able to fire up the lathe yet, working on a rotary converter)

Toolnut, Yes, i have the belt drive and 3ph motor as well. From anything I can find, this lathe came earlier than the BC 2E with the electronic controller, so I find it even more perplexing as to the purpose of the box on the end of the motor shaft.

I assume this isn't right, and something needs to be adjusted. But when the Lathe is off, does the control lever for the drive clutch (I have one at the end of the stop rod against the QC gear box, and one at the right end of the apron) have a positive detent if it's moved up or down? Is there any resistance? Right now, there's no resistance to lifting them up or down, and they just drop back down when I let them go. There's only a detent when I actuate the apron reverse lever (I believe the one that makes threading with a Hendey so unique). The apron reverse lever moves the stop rod left and right.

Unfortunately some things are difficult to figure out without having power to the Lathe yet, but I want to be as familiar as possible with the machine prior to using it.

Regards,
Keith

Probably a long shot, but does anyone (besides Hendeyman) happen to have a wiring diagram for these machines?

Thanks
Keith

Item 16 takes the left end feed train out of engagement, for instance when you are polishing something and don't need (or want to HEAR) the gears on the left end

Thanks everyone for the information so far. John, on page 4 of that manual with the parts labeling. Item #16 is the "sliding Feed Gear Lever" is it safe to assume that this is the same function on my #2 general purpose? What exactly is it used for? (I haven't been able to fire up the lathe yet, working on a rotary converter)

Toolnut, Yes, i have the belt drive and 3ph motor as well. From anything I can find, this lathe came earlier than the BC 2E with the electronic controller, so I find it even more perplexing as to the purpose of the box on the end of the motor shaft.

I assume this isn't right, and something needs to be adjusted. But when the Lathe is off, does the control lever for the drive clutch (I have one at the end of the stop rod against the QC gear box, and one at the right end of the apron) have a positive detent if it's moved up or down? Is there any resistance? Right now, there's no resistance to lifting them up or down, and they just drop back down when I let them go. There's only a detent when I actuate the apron reverse lever (I believe the one that makes threading with a Hendey so unique). The apron reverse lever moves the stop rod left and right.

Unfortunately some things are difficult to figure out without having power to the Lathe yet, but I want to be as familiar as possible with the machine prior to using it.

Regards,
Keith

Toolnut, does your #1 have levers on the stop rod? Does pivoting it up do anything? Unless it performs a function within the apron, it doesn't look like it does anything. I'm used to more modern, clutched, gear head lathes, and the lever in those positions I'm used to engaging the spindle. Do these lathes function like that, where the motor can be running but the spindle stopped?

Thanks

Assumes yours is like lots of other Hendeys with lead screw reverse......

You talk in post #9 about the "apron reverse" lever and its stop rod.

Actually its the LEAD SCREW REVERSE lever

It does nothing in the apron, but reverses the lead screw at the head stock

My write up on the subject from years ago:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ory/hendey-lathe-emergency-113621/#post421468

Toolnut, does your #1 have levers on the stop rod? Does pivoting it up do anything? Unless it performs a function within the apron, it doesn't look like it does anything. I'm used to more modern, clutched, gear head lathes, and the lever in those positions I'm used to engaging the spindle. Do these lathes function like that, where the motor can be running but the spindle stopped?

Thanks

Hi John,

Thank you very much, I had read that write up earlier while trying to learn more about these Hendey's. I've been able to test that lead screw reverse lever, and it functions properly. Every other lever seems to function properly and I can tell what it's used for. Except for the levers on the stop rod. I've marked them in the two pictures, one on the apron and another by the headstock. They're keyed to the stop rod so they pivot the rod up and down, but it doesn't seem to do anything. When I move the lead screw reverse lever, it turns the square rod in the middle and shifts the bottom stop rod left or right, and that does what it's supposed to. But in looking into the headstock around the opening where the stop rod goes into, I can't see that it performs any function when it's rotated...so I don't understand why there are levers on it.
00707_bJXKkvU54PT_600x450.jpg20170221_191357.jpg20170224_205602.jpg
I appreciate the help,
Keith

The missing link

Hi John,

Thank you very much, I had read that write up earlier while trying to learn more about these Hendey's. I've been able to test that lead screw reverse lever, and it functions properly. Every other lever seems to function properly and I can tell what it's used for. Except for the levers on the stop rod. I've marked them in the two pictures, one on the apron and another by the headstock. They're keyed to the stop rod so they pivot the rod up and down, but it doesn't seem to do anything. When I move the lead screw reverse lever, it turns the square rod in the middle and shifts the bottom stop rod left or right, and that does what it's supposed to. But in looking into the headstock around the opening where the stop rod goes into, I can't see that it performs any function when it's rotated...so I don't understand why there are levers on it.

I appreciate the help,
Keith

Keith,
I'm not familiar with your lathe, I have never seen a single one of that particular model. However, from your picture, it appears obvious to me that that lever should be connected to the power switch.
20170221_191357.jpg

Paolo

Thanks all, for the continued information. I think we're getting closer! Paolo, that's the problem I've had, i find very little information on these early #2 general purpose lathes. But good call on the missing link! After going out to the garage and looking at the underside of the handle, I definitely think it was linked there. That lever has 3 positions, I'm guessing Forward-off-reverse. And ratbldr427, I was able to discern "Bulletin 808" on the round thing at the end of the motor. Allen-Bradley still has the manual available for these, it's a speed / direction sensor. Of the many advertised functions, the first one is "Plugging / Anti-Plugging" which is described as:

DESCRIPTION
-
The Bulletin 808 speed switch is a pilot device
which is used with an automatic starter arranged for reversing
or plugging duty to provide plugging orantiplugging of squirrel
cage motors. This device can also be used as a speed sensing
switch, or to indicate direction of rotation of a driven shaft.
Plugging is a control function that provides braking by
reversing the motor. The phase sequence is reversed so that
the motor develops a counter-torque that exerts a retarding
force. Antiplugging protection is the effect of a control device
that operates to prevent the application of counter-torque by
the motor until the motor speed has been reduced to an
acceptable value

and I then found this forum, related:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/what-anti-plugging-feature-99370/

So I'm thinking the start button may not have immediately started the motor, the lever on the apron or the lever by the power switch actually did that, and rather than a clutch mechanism, the motor rotation reversing and braking was controlled by the sensor on the motor shaft and that 3 position switch.

Unfortunately, the electrical system on this isn't original. From what I understand, the contactors, and other electronics were replaced at some point. The Allen Bradley device was taken out of circuit, and I'll have to look and see if that 3-position switch was also taken out of circuit.

I'd love to get my hands on a wiring diagram for this machine, but I haven't been able to get a hold of Hendeyman yet.

Thanks everyone for their input!

Back