What's new
What's new

Queen City Shaper

JBoogie

Cast Iron
Hello,

Just picked up this lump the other day. I looked in the Cope book and these guys were only around from (I think) 1903-27. Wonder if anyone has any other info on Queen City. This is the heavy-duty model that came out in '09 with the outboard support. The feed doesn't look correct, how it is now has no way of adjusting the feed. I haven't run a shaper since high school about 10 years ago. If i remember correctly there was power feed on the left to right as well as the up and down motion. Does this machine have power on the up and down?

Jason

Attachments

• qc.jpg
    qc.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,045
  • qc 2.jpg
    qc 2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 994
  • qc 3.jpg
    qc 3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 986
  • qc 4.jpg
    qc 4.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 867
Now that you've done your first post, the site will allow you to go back and add pictures. Good instructions are in the "sticky" section of the South Bend portion of this website.

We all want to see your "lump"! :)

Sorry it took a minute to resize the photos. You can see where someone made a booboo and crashed the ram and busted the arm.

No power down feed on that one. It was not terribly common during that era.
The table feed looks original to me. The feed arm should be adjustable on the eccentric that drives it.
Andy

Nice find! I have a 12" pedistal grinder made by Queen City that I have no idea how old it is, but she still works great everyday!

Andy,

The catalog photo in the Cope book shows a slotted disc for the feed adjustment.

TB,

I don't know how much fun you would have with my engine right now, in the process of restoration. I actually need the shaper to do some work on a friend's engine that I'm working on. You need old machines to work on old machines I guess.

My Steptoe-Western has the slotted disc for feed adjustment. Main thing to be aware of is that you have to swap sides on the disc when you change feed direction, otherwise you are feeding in the cut, rather than on the return.

Hello , congratulations I don't think there are to many of those around. The feed looks factory to me . It works like a steptoe as stated by mike and andy. My Queen City has a different set up . I have no idea what year it is. Shaperhaven

Ah ha, I understand the feed now. The only crank pin adjustment is 0-180 degrees (+/- table travel). The feed is regulated by a cam that can rotate around the screw/ratchet wheel. The cam reveals more or less teeth per stroke (which is fixed) providing more or less feed per stroke. Pretty neat. Seems like it can be adjusted on the fly also.

Been working on the Queen City bit by bit. Spent most of the night making a new screw for the stroke adjustment. I've cut a lot of v threads but this was my first shot at a square thread. Got a real nice fit on the crank pin. Also got a few pieces parts polished and painted.

Attachments

• DSCN2493.jpg
    DSCN2493.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 520
  • DSCN2497.jpg
    DSCN2497.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 477
Jboogie,

Let's see, in the first post 9/22 you'd "just picked it up the other day". Now, already on 10/28 the main body has been cleaned and repainted, and a new square-thread screw made. Man, that is RAPID PROGRESS. Most of these "labors of love" take a lot longer than that to reach this point.

Besides offering admiration, the only suggestion I can make is to "pick out" the raised lettering on the door in a contrasting color. A convenient way to do this is to buy "Cosmetic Wedges" at a women's beauty supply shop. The butt end of a cosmetic wedge, which is made from close-grained sponge, is dipped into a shallow puddle of paint and touched to the raised letters. It is easier to do than to describe.

John Ruth

Boogie,
The guys in the old Queen City Machine tool works, Would be delighted if they could see the really excellent finish you are doing on their machine, all those years after they built her,

Was glad to read of you saving this nice machine tool from being sent out east to melt down looking forward to next installment

Wow, thanks to everyone for the kind words!

John,
As far as rapid progress goes, I am a younger guy (29) who absolutley loves old iron (steam, gas, machinery) and likes to dig into a project and get it out of the way for the next one (there are plenty!). It also doesn't hurt to have an understanding girlfriend who knows that if I'm working in the shop late (and having a few HOMEBREWS) then I'm not out getting into trouble. I should mention that she actually likes when my overalls can stand up on their own and wreaking of dark cutting oil ( I know, weird, right?) Most/all of my buddies think I'm crazy.

There are a few paying jobs waiting for me to finish this "labor of love", so that's one factor in getting it going quick. I have one more coat of paint to brush on before I put some white on the lettering. The saddle, vise and feed are pretty much all thats left then some assembly. I'm guessing I'll be making chips in the next few weeks and eagerly anticipate getting it dirty.

Robert,

Thank you for the link, very cool.
Jason

Back