What's new
What's new

Question About Obscure Chuck

MikeDG

Plastic
I am restoring an old combo tool which has a non-standard 5/8 18tpi threaded shaft, I need to find a 5/8-18tpi threaded mount drill chuck but can't find one. I am hoping that someone will be able to help. If I could find a 5/8-18 to 1/2-20 coupling adapter I could make a work around but I can't find that either. I appreciate any ideas. Thanks for your help, Mike

Too bad you want 5/8-18, which is, as you said, non-standard. Burgmaster 1/2" capacity turret drills had 5/8-16 spindles, so Jacobs and others did make 1/2" chucks with that thread. There are lots of those chucks on eBay.

You can also get chucks with 5/8 smooth bores and set screws that are meant to attach to 56 frame motor shafts.

Larry

Actually 5/8-18 is Unified National Fine - or whatever it's called these days - it IS a standard size.

Bunches of taps are available in that size on Ebay. Plug, taper, AND bottoming. A full set of three is nice, a plug tap will get you by possibly, but if you need to go to the bottom with threads it will take plug and bottom.

I would go with Red James' 1/2" suggestion above.

Joe in NH

I don't know what is meant by "an old combo tool" but I would think that if the desire was to use that spindle for anything but drilling adapting it to a more common mounting would make it more useful.

As I recall, 5/8-18 was/is a common thread for boring heads.

Those have 5/8" smooth spindles with a flat. The chucks have plain bores with set screws.

Larry

Gee Larry is there anything I can post that your not critical about. When I posted "think Shopsmith" I was talking about that class of machine not literally a Shopsmith.

Gee Larry is there anything I can post that your not critical about. When I posted "think Shopsmith" I was talking about that class of machine not literally a Shopsmith.

I'd rather think Gilman, but only MikeDG knows what he has, so no point in guessing. It may be something he does not wish to explain further on this site. He posted once and went away.

Gilman, for those in doubt, made a very cool combination metalworking machine and were nice enough to donate the only one known to exist to the APM.

Larry

DSC01443.jpgDSC01446.jpgDSC01447.jpgDSC01448.jpgDSC01450.jpg

Was the spindle 5/8-18? It would have been nice if the OP had shared a little more info before bailing but if this is not some rare machine this thread could be useful to others restoring such machines in future.

I think it was Scotty. Over the years I have seen a few of these Shopsmith type machines. That had either a flat or threaded spindle to mount the tool/chuck/cutter to the spindle.

5/8-16 is apparently not a rare spindle/chuck thread. I have a big old electric drill with 5/8-16 spindle, and modified one of my blacksmith's post drill spindles by cutting off the 1/2" setscrew chuck and threading it 5/8-16 to take a Jacobs chuck.

First time I saw that thread I had trouble believing it was not 5/8-18 UNF.

Larry has been a wealth of info here.

I took your "shopsmith" comment the same way.
The shopsmith woodworking machine.

The combo tool is a UMCO pulley driven tool which was probably part of a larger set of tools. The original chuck is broken and I want to replace it.

A friend of mine who owns an old Shopsmith says it looks like something that would work with that type of machine.

Thanks to Scott's suggestion, I found that they make adapters for Push-pullers with 5/8-18 to 1/2-20 male threads so I've ordered one to see if I can they use a 1/2-20 drill chuck.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

I appreciate the good ideas and the interest.

Back